Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for recognition of a continuing education title for the profession of veterinarian

In addition to their job title, veterinarians may use other designations that indicate special knowledge in a specific professional field (specialist veterinarian title) or additionally acquired knowledge in another field (additional title). A continuing education title may only be used by those who have received recognition from the State Chamber of Veterinarians upon application.

Process flow

You apply for recognition to use the continuing education title in writing (informally):

  • Create the application and add the necessary evidence.
  • Submit the application documents to the State Chamber of Veterinarians. It is possible to send the application by e-mail.
  • The State Chamber of Veterinarians will then check whether you meet all the requirements.
  • The State Chamber of Veterinarians will send you a notification with the authorization to use the continuing education title.


The application must be made in writing.

All documents must be submitted in German.
Translations must have been carried out by a translator or interpreter admitted to a German court

Which documents are required?

  • Proof of nationality
  • Your license to practice medicine or your permit according to § 2 paragraph 2 of the Federal Veterinary Regulations
  • the continuing education certificates you have acquired
  • the certificate of relevant professional experience you have acquired, if any,
  • Proof of the content of the continuing education in the form of the submission of the relevant continuing education regulations or in any other suitable manner, if this indicates the continuing training content and the duration of the continuing education for obtaining the continuing education certificate
  • where applicable, other evidence of competency required for the determination of equivalence;

What are the fees?

Fee: 200,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Objection Deadline: 1 Month

Processing duration

Processing Time: 2 Months

Legal basis

An application must be made to the Chamber for recognition of further training that deviates from the provisions of the Continuing Education Regulations. The applicant must prove the equivalence of the deviating further training to the further training course regulated in the annex to the further training regulations for the area or area applied for.

In addition, the regulations of the Chamber Act are binding for the health professions.

Continuing education outside the member states of the European Union or contracting states of the Agreement on the European Economic Area can be credited in whole or in part if it complies with the principles of the continuing education regulations and further training of at least 24 months has been completed in a targeted area or area in the Federal Republic of Germany.

The same applies to further training in a Member State of the European Union or in another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area if it has been completed by a veterinarian who is not a national of a Member State or another Contracting State.


Appeal as an action to the Administrative Court.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)