Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Report changes in personal situation in case of unemployment

A change in your personal situation may affect your entitlement to unemployment benefits. You may receive less or more money. Therefore, you must immediately report any change in your personal circumstances to the employment agency responsible for you. These notifications are important so that you receive the correct amount of benefits to which you are entitled.

In particular, you must report if you:

  • go away for an extended period of time,
  • move house,
  • take up a second job (including voluntary work),
  • take up a job,
  • go back to school,
  • take up an apprenticeship or a course of study,
  • become self-employed,
  • go on maternity or parental leave,
  • draw a retirement pension,
  • draw a pension for reduced earning capacity
  • are doing an internship, voluntary service or military service,
  • have changed your name or marital status
  • become ill or are recovering from an illness,
  • change tax class, or
  • Have another reason for disenrollment.

In some cases, you should contact your local employment agency before your personal situation changes.

For example, if you take up a second job: The income from the secondary employment may affect the receipt of your unemployment benefits.

The obligation to notify also applies to changes that may have a retroactive effect on your benefits. This is the case, for example, if you are granted a pension retroactively.

If you receive supplementary Bürgergeld in addition to unemployment benefit, you must notify the Jobcenter of the change separately. Please take into account the information on this benefit and use the form for notifying changes if you are receiving Bürgergeld.

Process flow

You can submit the change notification online, in person, in writing or by telephone. You will then receive a notice by mail stating whether and how the change in your personal situation affects your receipt of unemployment benefits.

If you want to submit the notice of change online:

  • Access the Federal Employment Agency's online "eServices" portal, log in and complete the change form directly online.

If you would like to submit the notice of change in person at your location:

  • Download the Notice of Change form from the Federal Employment Agency's website.
  • Fill out the form and bring it with you to your interview with your employment agency.
  • It is best to bring the relevant evidence with you, if required.

If you wish to submit the Notice of Change in writing:

  • Download the Notice of Change form from the Employment Agency's website.
  • You can also use the form that you already received from your responsible employment agency when you registered for unemployment.
  • Fill out the form and send it by mail to your competent employment agency.

If you would like to report the change by telephone:

  • Call the service hotline of the Federal Employment Agency and have your customer number ready.

Who should I contact?

The point of contact is the local office of the Federal Employment Agency.

Competent authority

The point of contact is the local office of the Federal Employment Agency.


  • You are receiving unemployment benefits.
  • Your personal situation changes.

Which documents are required?

  • Change notification
  • Please ask your local employment agency what other proof you need to submit.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

You must report any changes immediately.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes (notification of change)
Written form required: No, informal notification is also possible
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: Yes


If you are notified of a change(s) and a decision is issued that is detrimental to you, you can lodge an appeal against this decision. The deadline for lodging an appeal is one month after notification of the decision. Further information on how to lodge an appeal can be found in the respective notice.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)