Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Pharmaceutical-technical assistant with training from the EU/EEA/Switzerland, professional qualification recognized

The profession of pharmaceutical technical assistant is regulated in Germany. This means that in order to work as a pharmaceutical technical assistant in Germany, you need a state license. With this permit, you can use the job title "pharmaceutical-technical assistant" and work in the profession.

If you have a professional qualification from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you can also obtain a state permit from the competent authority in Germany.

In order to obtain the permit, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognized.

In the recognition procedure, the competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. The equivalence of the professional qualification is an important prerequisite for the granting of a state license.

In addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification, you must also meet other requirements for the permit to be issued. Further requirements are, for example, sufficient German language skills and health suitability.

If your professional qualification does not originate from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, other regulations apply.

You can also apply for the procedure from abroad.

Process flow


You submit an application to the competent authority for permission to use the professional title "pharmaceutical-technical assistant". You can submit the application with the documents to the competent authority or send it by post. Do not send any originals. Sometimes you can also send the application electronically. The responsible office will inform you.

Examination of equivalence

The competent authority will then check whether you meet all the requirements. An important requirement is the equivalence of your professional qualification. The competent body will compare your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as a pharmaceutical-technical assistant. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the examination

If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognized. The competent authority can confirm the result in writing. You must still meet the other requirements. You will then receive permission to use the professional title "pharmaceutical-technical assistant".

Are there any significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification? You may be able to compensate for the differences through your professional experience, other knowledge or skills (lifelong learning). You must provide evidence of your professional experience. Knowledge and skills must be certified by an authority in the country in which you acquired the knowledge or skills.

However, it may be that the significant differences cannot be compensated for by this knowledge. In this case, your foreign professional qualification will not be recognized. You will then not be allowed to work as a pharmaceutical-technical assistant in Germany.

However, the competent authority will tell you the main differences and why you cannot compensate for the main differences with your professional experience.

In most cases, you can take a compensatory measure. This will allow you to compensate for the main differences.

Compensatory measures

There are various compensatory measures:

  • Adaptation course: The adaptation course lasts a maximum of three years.
  • Aptitude test: In the aptitude test, only those areas in which significant differences have been identified are tested. The aptitude test consists of a practical examination combined with an interview.

You can choose between an adaptation period or an aptitude test.

If you successfully complete the compensation measure and meet all other requirements, you will receive permission to use the job title "pharmaceutical technical assistant".

Competent authority

Lower Saxony State Office for Social Affairs, Youth and Family - Lüneburg Branch Office


  • You have a professional qualification as a pharmaceutical technical assistant from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland.
  • You want to work in Germany as a pharmaceutical technical assistant.
  • Personal suitability: You are reliable for work as a pharmaceutical technical assistant and have no criminal record.
  • Health suitability: You are mentally and physically able to work as a pharmaceutical technical assistant.
  • You have German language skills at the required level. This is normally language level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

Which documents are required?

The responsible office will tell you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally

  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  • Marriage certificate (if your name has changed due to marriage)
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Proof of your professional qualifications (e.g. certificates, professional certificate)
  • Proof of training
  • Proof of your relevant professional experience as a pharmaceutical-technical assistant
  • Proof of other relevant knowledge for working as a pharmaceutical technical assistant
  • You do not yet live or work in Germany? Then you may need to provide proof: You want to work in the profession in Germany. Proof includes, for example, applications for a job, invitations to job interviews, personal statement

You usually submit these documents later. The responsible office will inform you when you should submit the documents:

  • Proof of your personal suitability: criminal record extract or certificate of good conduct from your country of origin. The certificate must not be older than 3 months at the time of application.
  • Proof of your health suitability: Medical certificate. The certificate must not be older than 3 months at the time of application.
  • Proof of your German language skills: Language certificate

The responsible office will let you know which documents you need to submit as a simple copy, a certified copy or the original.

What are the fees?

The responsible office will inform you of the costs. The costs generally depend on the time and effort required for processing.

Additional costs may also be incurred (e.g. for translations, certifications or compensatory measures). These costs vary from case to case.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?


Sometimes documents are still missing from the procedure. The responsible office will then inform you by when you must submit the documents.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 4 Months
The responsible office will inform you if any documents are missing. If the documents are complete, the procedure will take a maximum of 4 months.


You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (e.g. lodge an objection). The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first speak to the responsible office before taking legal action against the decision.

What else should I know?

Freedom to provide services

Do you only want to offer services in Germany occasionally and for a short time? Then you usually do not need a state permit. You must fulfill these requirements:

  • You must be established in another EU or EEA member state or in Switzerland.
  • You must provide proof of your professional qualification.
  • You must notify the competent authority of your activity in writing.

The competent authority will inform you whether you are permitted to provide services or whether you need to take an aptitude test.

Notification of equivalence

The equivalence assessment (recognition procedure) also takes place during the authorization procedure. You can apply for a separate decision on the result of the examination.

Procedure for ethnic German repatriates

As a late repatriate, you can go through the recognition procedure either in accordance with the laws mentioned here or in accordance with the Federal Expellee Act. You can decide for yourself. The responsible office will advise you on which procedure is right for you.

Technically approved by

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

Federal Ministry of Health

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)