Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

European Professional Card Recognition

Would you like to pursue your profession temporarily or permanently in another European country?

The European Professional Card (EPC) is electronic proof that your professional qualification is recognised by another EU country. Upon request, the EPC will be issued to you in an electronic procedure (EPC procedure). The EPC procedure is simpler, faster and more transparent than the traditional procedures for the recognition of professional qualifications.

The European Professional Card offers you the following advantages:

  • The authorities of your country of origin will help you with your application and check that it is correctly completed and complete. They also check the authenticity and validity of your documents.
  • In the future, if you wish to apply for establishment or temporary provision of services in another EU country, your dossier already exists in the system and you do not need to upload your documents a second time. This saves you time for further applications.
  • If the authorities responsible for your application do not take a decision within the specified deadline, recognition is automatic.

Process flow

First, you need to log in to the European Commission's authentication service (ECAS) and choose a username and password.

Then create your profile with your personal details (identity card or passport number, surname, nationality) and your contact details (address, e-mail address, telephone number, etc.). Your personal details will be in your EPC.

After you have created your profile, you can submit the application for the EPC. To do this, go to the home page. When applying, you will find out which documents the host country needs for the recognition of your professional qualification. You can upload the documents directly. Please upload each document as a separate file.

Then send the application together with the documents to the competent authority in your country of origin.

The competent body will process your application and, where appropriate, forward it to the competent authorities of the host country for further processing.

Once you have submitted your application, you will not be able to change your personal details. An update can only be carried out by the competent authority that processes your file. However, you can update your contact details at any time. You can track your application online and reuse previously uploaded documents for new applications for other countries.

After your application is approved, you can create an EPC certificate in PDF format. The EPC certificate contains a reference number. With this reference number, your future employer can check the validity of your EPC online.


You can use the EPC procedure if you want to work temporarily or permanently in another EU or EEA country.

The EPC procedure can currently only be used for the following professions:

  • General care nurse
  • Pharmacist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Mountain guide
  • Real Estate Agent

Professionals with a different profession must continue to apply standard procedures for the recognition of their professional qualifications. However, the EPC procedure may be extended to other professions in the future.

Which documents are required?

  • if applicable, certified copies of the documents that you uploaded during the electronic application

What are the fees?

The competent authority of your country of origin and the competent authority of the host country may charge fees for the examination of your file. You will receive a separate invoice from each competent body.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The professional card is valid:

  • unlimited in case of establishment
  • 18 months in most cases where you provide services temporarily and occasionally, or 12 months for professions with an impact on public health or safety, unless they are subject to automatic recognition (e.g. physiotherapist)

What else should I know?

Please note that the EPC does not normally automatically confer a right to practice the profession. An exception is occasional and temporary services with no impact on public health or safety.

If you are planning to set up a business, you may need to register with a professional organisation in the host country before starting your profession or provide certain evidence, e.g. of good repute or health. Check with a Point of Single Contact or the authorities of the host country whether this is necessary in your case.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)