Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for recognition as a surveyor with a professional qualification from abroad

The profession of surveyor is regulated in Germany. This means that you must prove that you have a certain qualification in order to be allowed to work in the profession. If you have a foreign professional qualification as a surveyor, you can work in this profession in the chosen federal state under certain conditions. To do this, you must submit an application with all the necessary documents to the competent state authority.

The competent state authority for mining compares your professional qualification from abroad with the professional qualification in the selected federal state and makes a determination of equivalence.

You will receive feedback after your application has been reviewed. If your professional qualification is equivalent and you meet all other requirements, you will be recognised as a surveyor. If you do not have professional qualifications for recognition, the notification will state the main differences. You can then take a compensatory action.

Process flow

You can apply for recognition of your professional qualification as a surveyor at the competent state authority. You must submit all the necessary documents in the form of copies to the competent authority.

The competent authority will then check: Is your professional qualification equivalent to the professional qualification in your federal state? For example, the content of the training and the duration of the training are important for comparison. The competent authority will also take into account your professional experience, other qualifications and qualifications.

The competent authority will then check the other requirements. If your professional qualification is equivalent and you meet all other requirements, your professional qualification will be recognised. You will then be allowed to work as a surveyor in the federal state.

If the competent authority is unable to establish equivalence, you will receive a notification with an explanation of the main differences. In order to compensate for significant differences, you can take an adaptation period or an aptitude test. If you successfully complete the compensatory measure and meet the other requirements, you will receive recognition.


  • Equivalence of your professional qualification

In order to be recognised as a surveyor, you must meet other requirements in addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification:

  • Personal suitability: You are reliable for working as a surveyor.
  • Health suitability: You are health-wise suitable for working as a mine surveyor.

Which documents are required?

  • in German, a tabular list of the training courses completed and the gainful employment carried out
  • Proof of identity
  • Certificates of training acquired abroad
  • Evidence of relevant professional experience and other evidence of formal qualifications required to establish the equivalence of professional qualifications
  • If applicable, a certificate of entitlement to practise in the country of training
  • in German, a statement as to whether and to which office an application has already been submitted and, if applicable, the decision
  • a medical certificate as proof of health suitability, and a certificate from a health authority on request
  • a declaration that a certificate of good conduct in accordance with § 30 of the Federal Central Register Act has been applied for at the registration authority for submission to the Land Office
  • a declaration of the respective address of the existing or planned workspaces.

If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. Translations must be carried out by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

What are the fees?

Fees may apply, please contact the relevant authority.

Processing duration

3 months from receipt of all necessary documents.

Applications / forms

Forms available: No, Written form required: Yes, Informal application possible: Yes, Personal appearance required: No, online service available.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Transport, Building and Digitalisation, State Office for Mining, Energy and Geology


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)