Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Foreign professional qualification Recognition as a special needs teacher (B.A.) /Special Education Teacher (B.A.)

If you want to work in Germany as a curative educator (B.A.) or curative educator (B.A.), you usually need the authorization to use the professional title "State-approved curative educator (B.A.)" or "State-approved curative educator (B.A.)". Even with a degree obtained abroad, you can apply for eligibility in Germany.

Process flow

For recognition, the competent authority checks on the basis of your certificates whether and to what extent your foreign qualification is a German qualification for the profession of curative education teacher (B.A.) /of the special education teacher (B.A.). This review is based on defined formal criteria, such as the content and duration of the training. Your relevant professional experience will be taken into account as well as other relevant qualifications.

Important note: For academic qualifications, you can apply for a basic assessment of your university degree by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). The assessment by the ZAB does not replace the procedure for state recognition to be applied for here (content review by a competent university).

Further information can be found on the "Recognition in Germany" portal. This internet portal provides quick and easy answers to questions about recognition, for example:

  • Do I have to have my professional qualification recognised?
  • Is the recognition worth it for me?
  • May I submit the application? Do I have a formal right to it?
  • Who should I contact?
  • What does the procedure look like?
  • What documents are required? What form do the documents have to have?
  • How long does the procedure take?
  • How much does the procedure cost?
  • Which laws are relevant to my case?

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Hanover University of Applied Sciences and Arts.


Before submitting your application, please use the individual counselling request in accordance with § 22 SozHeilKindVO. In this way, it can be clarified at an early stage whether an application for recognition makes sense at all.

Which documents are required?

You will need the following documents:

  • Tabular list of the training courses you have completed and the gainful employment you have carried out
  • Indication of your contact details (address, current place of residence / e-mail)
  • Proof of identity
  • Certificates of competence and training acquired abroad (Bachelor's degree, etc.)
  • Certificate of authorization to practice the profession
  • Proof of relevant professional experience, where necessary to establish equivalence
  • Explanation of whether and to which body you have already submitted an application for a determination of equivalence and, if applicable, a decision on the determination of equivalence

All documents must be submitted in the original or as a certified copy and in German. If the documents are written in another language, you may also need a translation by a publicly appointed translator.

Additional documentation may be required. At the time of application, knowledge of the German language at least at language level B2 is recommended.

What are the fees?

Fees may apply, please contact the competent authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed. The deadline for submitting the application begins with the confirmation of the competent authority that the required documents are complete.


The decision can be appealed.

Technically approved by

Ministry of Science and Culture of the State of Lower Saxony and Recognition Finder Germany


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)