Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Licence to practise as a psychotherapist

Anyone wishing to practise as a psychotherapist or child and adolescent psychotherapist in Germany requires a separate professional licence: a licence to practise medicine or a professional licence. The license to practice medicine is the more comprehensive professional license and is issued by the competent authority.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Lower Saxony Association for the Granting of Licences to Practice Medicine (NiZzA).


The license to practice medicine is linked to various requirements, which are based on

  • the successful completion of a degree in Germany or an equivalent training qualification abroad,
  • nationality, and
  • relate to personal and health suitability for the exercise of the profession.

Which documents are required?

Documents are required. Please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

Fees are charged in accordance with Annex 1 to § 1 paragraph 1 of the General Fee Schedule of the State of Lower Saxony (AllGO) from No. 102.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed.

What else should I know?

Applying abroad in a health profession:

In order to practice the profession of a psychological psychotherapist or a child and adolescent psychotherapist abroad , a "Certificate of good standing" (in future: Certificate of Current Professional Status) is usually required. This certificate is issued by the competent authority if you last worked in your profession in Lower Saxony.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)