Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Notification of a birth Receipt Supplementary data delivery

If you have had a child, you must inform the relevant registry office and submit the required documents.
The registry office in whose jurisdiction the child was born is responsible.
If your child was born in a hospital or birthing centre, the birth will be reported to the registry office by these institutions. In the case of a home birth, you will receive a birth certificate, which you must hand in in person at your local registry office.
In addition to the birth notification, you must submit further information and documents required for the registration of birth to the competent registry office if these cannot be found in registers to which the registry office has access.

The registry office keeps a register of births in which the following entries are made:

  • The child's first name and maiden name
  • Place, day, hour and minute of birth
  • The sex of the child
  • The first names and surnames of the parents, their gender.

Choice of the child's first name:
As the legal guardian, you are free to choose the child's first name. Selected first names must not be contrary to the best interests of the child. Names that are not first names by their nature may not be chosen. Multiple first names can be combined to form one first name. Such a compound should contain no more than one hyphen.

Choice of the child's maiden name:
If you have a common married name, the child will receive it as their maiden name.
If, as a parent, you do not have a married name and you have joint custody, you can make a declaration to the registry office to determine the name of the child, which the father or mother has at the time of the declaration, as the child's maiden name. A declaration made after the birth has been certified must be publicly certified. If you have chosen a birth name for your child, it will also apply to other children.

The guardians can decide to the registry office that a child should receive the family name

  • under the law of a country of which one of the parents is a national,
  • according to German law, if one of the parents has his or her habitual residence in Germany
  • in accordance with the law of the State of which a person issuing the name is a national.

Process flow

Who should I contact?

to the registry office in whose district the child was born.

What are the fees?

There are no costs.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The birth of the child must be reported to the responsible registry office within one week. If a child is stillborn, the notification must be displayed no later than the third working day following the birth.

Parents with joint custody who do not have a married name must notify the relevant registry office of the child's maiden name within one month of the child's birth.

What else should I know?

The registry office that certifies the birth must inform you of this:

  1. the registry office, which keeps the birth records for the child's parents,
  2. the registry office I in Berlin, if the child was born abroad,
  3. the registration authority,
  4. the family court, if
    • the child was born after the death of its father
    • it is a foundling or a minor whose civil status cannot be determined, or
    • it is a child from a confidential birth according to § 25 paragraph 1 of the Pregnancy Conflict Act,
  5. the Youth Welfare Office, if the child's parents are not married to each other,
  6. the family court, if parents with joint custody who do not have a married name have not determined the child's maiden name within one month of the child's birth,
  7. the Federal Office for Family Affairs and Civil Society Tasks, if the child was born confidentially in accordance with Section 25 (1) of the Pregnancy Conflict Act,
  8. the parental allowance office, if the registry office becomes aware that an application for parental allowance has been submitted and if the applicant has consented to the transfer of data

The processing of personal data by a public authority is permitted if it is necessary for the performance of the task within the competence of the controller or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sports

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)