Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for health assistance

If you do not have health insurance and receive uninterrupted subsistence assistance for a short period of time (probably less than a month), the social welfare office will provide the necessary medical care directly by issuing a treatment certificate.

These include:

  • Preventive health assistance for the prevention and early detection of diseases
  • Help in case of illness
  • Help with family planning
  • Help with pregnancy and maternity
  • Help with sterilization

The person responsible is:

  • the social welfare office of the respective local social welfare institution


  • the social welfare office of the municipality belonging to the district or region used by the local social welfare agency,

in which the place of residence is located.

Local social welfare agencies: districts, independent cities and the Hanover region

Health assistance is provided to persons who:

  • who do not have statutory or adequate private health insurance,
  • the provision of services via the health insurance fund (§ 264 para. 4 SGB V) is out of the question
  • and who cannot reasonably be expected to raise the funds for the necessary assistance from income and assets.
  • Application for health assistance
  • Identity card or passport (or other documents that can identify the person beyond doubt)

Information on the documents required in individual cases will be provided by the competent social welfare institution.


Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Equality

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)