Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Home Birth Ad

The birth of a child must be notified to the competent authority in whose jurisdiction it was born.

The following order is required to report a home birth:

  • each parent of the child, if he or she has custody,
  • any other person who was present at the birth or is informed of the birth from his own knowledge.

The responsibility lies with the municipality, the Joint Community and the city in whose jurisdiction the child was born. As a rule, this task is incumbent on the registry office.

  • in the case of married parents
    • Birth certificates
    • marriage certificate or a certified imprint from the marriage register,
  • in the case of unmarried parents
    • Mother's birth certificate
    • if paternity has already been recognised:
      • Declarations on acknowledgement of paternity
      • Father's birth certificate
      • if applicable, the custody declarations
  • Identity card, passport or a recognized passport replacement document of the parents
  • a certificate of birth issued by a doctor or midwife or maternity nurse, if they were present at the birth.


A marriage certificate must also be presented if the marriage is dissolved.

Fees may apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

The The birth of a child must be reported to the competent authority within one week.

The date of birth is not included in the calculation of the notification period.

If a child is stillborn or dies in childbirth, the notification must be made no later than the third working day following the birth.

On the basis of the certification made in the birth register , a birth certificate for the home birth can be issued upon request.

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)