Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for accommodation, care and care in a children's home or other form of assisted living

Education in an institution over day and night or in another form of assisted living is intended to promote the development of children and young people.

This is a type of educational aid. This benefit may also be suitable for young adults (§ 41 SGB VIII).

The type of care depends on the age and stage of development of the child or adolescent or young adult. In the various forms of housing, specialists will look after your child with pedagogical and, if necessary, therapeutic offers.

Home education or another form of assisted living is an aid to education. Depending on the situation, the help should:

  • To try to achieve a return to the family,
  • prepare to be brought up in another family,
  • offer a long-term way of life and prepare them for an independent life.

Process flow

Please contact the responsible Youth Welfare Office.

In a personal conversation, you will be shown possible help. The Youth Welfare Office will try to support you so that your child can continue to stay with you.

If the Youth Welfare Office deems it necessary to place your child in a home or in another form of assisted living, you can submit a corresponding application for help with upbringing.

All parties involved (you, your child, the caregivers from the childcare facility and the Youth Welfare Office) meet for a help plan discussion. The aid plan specifies how the aid is to be structured and what objectives are to be achieved.

The Youth Welfare Office is looking for a suitable facility. You can express your wishes. If there are multiple options, you can choose the setup.

It is regularly checked whether the help is still suitable and whether your child can come back to the family.

Who should I contact?

to the responsible Youth Welfare Office


You are the parent or guardian of a child or young person (the person with custody).

They do not manage to care for and educate the child or adolescent in such a way that it is good for the young person.

Assistance in the form of placement of the young person in a home or other form of assisted living is suitable and necessary (to be determined by the Youth Welfare Office).

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card
  • If applicable, proof of custody, for example: birth certificate, information from the custody register or order of the family court on custody

What are the fees?

The costs for home education or other forms of assisted living are largely borne by the Youth Welfare Office. However, you must contribute to the costs to a reasonable extent. Please ask the responsible Youth Welfare Office about this.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)