Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Apply for support for participation in extra-company vocational training at the Jobcenter

Extra-company vocational training is an alternative to training in a company if you have not yet found an apprenticeship and you have no perspective on how to proceed in the future.

You can also consider extra-company vocational training if your in-company or extra-company vocational training has ended prematurely and it is currently not possible to take up in-company vocational training even with additional support. You can then continue your training with a measure provider. If possible, the previous training period will be taken into account.

It doesn't matter how old you are.

Your extra-company training takes place in a recognised training occupation. Liberal professions and nursing professions cannot be trained outside the company.

Your training will take place with a measure provider. The costs are covered by the Jobcenter. They receive a training allowance and are covered by social security.

Under certain conditions, you can also receive vocational training allowance.

For the theoretical part of the vocational training, you will attend a vocational school. Your practical part will take place depending on the model.

  • generally take place in the workshops of the sponsor of the measure, including in-company training phases, or
  • generally takes place at a training company with which the measure sponsor cooperates.

During the training with your measure provider, you can, among other things,

  • Tutoring in individual subjects or in learning the German language,
  • Preparation for class tests and exams,
  • Support with everyday problems,
  • Mediating discussions with your trainers, teachers and parents


An experienced team of trainers, teachers and social pedagogues will accompany you throughout the entire process. Together with you, they will develop a very personal support plan based on the training framework plan.

During the extra-company vocational training, your transition to in-company training is supported.

If there are certain reasons, you can also complete your training part-time.

Even as a young person with disabilities, you can take part in extra-company vocational training if your individual support needs can be covered and you can participate in working life through the training.

Process flow

You can take part in extra-company vocational training after a personal interview at the job centre, if you meet the eligibility requirements, if there is a corresponding measure and a free place.

  • Contact the responsible job centre and arrange a meeting. You are welcome to use the website of the Federal Employment Agency to make an appointment for a personal consultation or to transmit documents and evidence online, conveniently and securely.
    • If you receive benefits according to SGB II, the Jobcenter is responsible for you. Otherwise, the Employment Agency is responsible for you. You can find the office of the Federal Employment Agency or the Jobcenter responsible for you via the Service Finder. It depends on where you live.
  • On site, the Jobcenter's integration specialist will record your data and check whether you meet the requirements for participation in extra-company vocational training.
  • If this is the case, the integration specialist at the Jobcenter will nominate the appropriate educational institution for your participation.
  • The Jobcenter informs the placement agency that you will start an apprenticeship with them.
  • Before the start of your training, you will be invited by the programme provider to an assessment or admission interview.
  • You conclude a training contract with the sponsor of the measure.
  • If the practical part of your training takes place in a company, you will also conclude a cooperation agreement with your sponsor and the company.
  • The sponsor will inform you in writing about the start and location of your training and what you need to get started.

Who should I contact?

You can find the department responsible for you via the service finder on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.

Competent authority

You can find the department responsible for you via the service finder on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.


You can take part in extra-company vocational training if:

  • You have completed your compulsory schooling, whether with or without a school leaving certificate.
  • You have not yet found an apprenticeship and have no perspective on how to proceed in the future.
  • Their integration into in-company vocational training cannot be achieved with support during training, for example with assisted training.
  • You have learning disabilities or are socially disadvantaged.

You are considered to be a person with learning disabilities if:

  • you have completed compulsory schooling, but do not have a school-leaving certificate,
  • you have attended a special school with a focus on learning, or
  • You are unlikely to be able to successfully complete in-company training despite having a lower secondary school leaving certificate or a comparable school leaving certificate.

The group of socially disadvantaged persons includes you,

  • if there is considerable social, personal and/or psychological stress and the requirements of in-company training cannot be achieved as a result.
  • Indications of this can be:
  • Behavioural problems
  • Poor performance (e.g. reading and spelling difficulties)
  • Single parent
  • young people who have committed crimes
  • young people who had an addiction problem
  • young people with a migrant background with language deficits or existing difficulties in settling in in a foreign environment.

If you wish to continue your training in extra-company vocational training because your in-company or other extra-company training relationship has ended prematurely, you do not have to belong to the group of people with learning disabilities or social disadvantages. The prerequisite for this is, among other things, that you can complete your training within the contractual period of the measure and that there is a free place.

Special requirements for foreign nationals:

As a foreigner, you can generally receive funding, taking into account the requirements already listed, if you are allowed to do an apprenticeship or work in Germany – unless statutory exclusions from funding apply. You can inquire about this at your responsible employment agency or job centre.

You are not entitled to participate in extra-company vocational training if you:

  • have come to Germany no more than 5 years ago to work, study or do an apprenticeship,
  • permitted or tolerated.

As a newly arrived foreigner who is eligible for funding, you can generally be funded after a period of stay of 3 months.

Which documents are required?

  • You will need your most recent school report and CV.
  • As a foreigner, you need proof of your current residence permit.
  • If you do not have a school-leaving certificate, but have completed compulsory schooling, you will need proof of this.
  • If necessary, further documents to be provided by you may result from the consultation with the integration specialists of the Jobcenter.

What are the fees?


What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There is no deadline. Extra-company vocational training usually begins in August or September of each year. In order to participate, you should therefore go to the Jobcenter as early as possible before the start of the extra-company training.

Before the start of the training, you conclude a training contract with the training provider, which also gives you a fixed time frame for the duration of the training.

Applications / forms

Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: Yes



Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Arbeit
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes


Telephone: 05931 44-0
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)