Licence for the (cross-border) carriage of goods for hire or reward / Community licence issued
The commercial performance of transport services with vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 3.5 tonnes is subject to authorisation. A distinction must be made between a licence for the commercial carriage of goods by road (valid only in Germany) and a Community licence (valid within the European Union). The main grant factors are:
- Professional aptitude
Specialist examination before the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) or training as a transport specialist or forwarding agent (training started before 04.12.2011)
- financial standing
Equity of EUR 9,000 for the first vehicle, EUR 5,000 for each additional vehicle)
- personal reliability
Certificate of good conduct and information from the Central Trade Register must be applied for at the citizens' offices and sent directly to the licensing authority. If entrepreneurs are already self-employed, clearance certificates from the tax office, the employees' health insurance companies and the employers' liability insurance association must also be submitted. The documents for personal reliability must not be older than 3 months at the time of application).
The application is submitted to the locally competent licensing authority (registered office of the company).
- You must apply for the Community licence (EU licence) or a national road haulage licence from the competent authority. The application for a permit or Community licence must comply with Annex 1 of the General Administrative Regulation on Road Haulage Law (GüKVwV).
- The competent authority shall make a final decision on the application.
Who should I contact?
Granting of approval by the competent authority under state law.
The permit for the commercial carriage of goods by road will only be granted to you if:
- the safety and efficiency of the operation are ensured,
- there are no facts that demonstrate your unreliability as an entrepreneur or the persons appointed to run the business,
- you as an entrepreneur or the person appointed for the management of the business are professionally qualified and
- You and the entrepreneurs commissioned by you to carry out transport services have their place of business or branch within the meaning of commercial law in Germany.
Which documents are required?
- Police clearance certificate (will be sent to the competent authority after the application has been submitted to the Citizens' Registration Office)
- Excerpts from the Central Trade and Traffic Register
- Proof of expertise and expertise examination of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce
- Clearance certificates from the tax office and the social security institutions
- Certificate of Equity / Balance Sheet
Please check with the authority responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents.
What are the fees?
Fee: 300,00 EURPayment in advance: NoThe administrative fee for the issuance of the permit or licence is EUR 300.00 plus EUR 55.00 per copy/certified copy for each vehicle used; when applying, an advance of EUR 200.00 plus EUR 3.30 must be paid for each piece of information from the driving aptitude register.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Applications / forms
- The application must be submitted in writing. There are no special requirements for the shape.
- The application forms publicly available on the Authority's website facilitate the submission of the application and should therefore be completed and sent to the competent authority.
- As a rule, it is not necessary to appear in person at the authority
- No online service possible (in Berlin)
Text reviewed by the Ministry of Economy, Labour and Transport
Technically approved by
State Office for Citizens' and Regulatory Affairs (LABO), Department of Motor Vehicles, Department of Driving Licences, Passenger and Freight Transport
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.