Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Papenburg (268...)

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Notify significant changes to housing benefit, such as number of household members, rent, burden, or income

You must inform the housing benefit authority without delay if:

  • your total income has increased by more than 15 percent,
  • Your rent or burden on residential property (excluding heating costs) has been reduced by more than 15 percent, or
  • the number of household members has decreased.

If your overall income decreases due to fewer members in your household to consider, this may also be a reason for a change in housing benefit.

Process flow

You send your notification of change in writing or online to the housing benefit office responsible for you.

The authority will check whether your notification has an impact on the amount of your housing benefit and, if necessary, send you a notice.

Who should I contact?

To your local housing allowance authority


  • Your total income must have increased by more than 15%, or
  • the number of your household members has decreased, or
  • Your rent or your mortgage burden (excluding heating costs) has been reduced by more than 15%

For details, please contact your local housing benefit authority.

Which documents are required?

Please submit the following documents:

  • Proof of change in rent or charge
  • Proof of changed income
  • Evidence of changes in household members to be taken into account

What are the fees?


What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The changes must be notified to the competent authority without delay.

Processing duration

Your notification will be reviewed without delay. The processing time depends, among other things, on the completeness of your information and the submission of the evidence required for the processing of the application.

Longer processing times are not at your expense.

Applications / forms

Online: please enter your postcode and place of residence.

What else should I know?

There are the following tips:

If your financial situation or living conditions have improved or changed, there may also be a reduction in housing benefit. You are obliged to notify the housing benefit authority immediately of any changes that may lead to a reduction in housing benefit. In order to avoid or detect the unlawful use of housing benefit, the housing benefit authority regularly checks the household members by means of a data comparison.

In order to avoid or detect the unlawful use of housing benefit, the housing benefit authority may regularly check the household members by means of a data comparison – also in automated form – in particular with the data centre of the pension insurance.

For example, it may be compared,

  • whether citizens' allowance (formerly unemployment benefit II) is paid while receiving housing benefit,
  • whether there is a compulsory or marginal employment,
  • or the amount of capital gains for which an exemption order has been issued.

It is also possible to compare with the registration authority on registration addresses, housing status and time of re-registration. In addition, it is possible to retrieve an account from the Federal Central Tax Office. Suspected cases of fraud are generally reported to the public prosecutor's office.

Through these checks, the housing benefit authority can determine, for example,

  • whether housing benefit is received more than once,
  • whether transfer benefits leading to exclusion from housing benefit are received at the same time,
  • whether the correct information in the housing benefit application
    • income from employment,
    • income from one or more pensions,
    • income from investment income (interest or dividends),
  • whether the payment of unemployment benefit was stopped in the event of initial unemployment (e.g. due to taking up a new job) and
  • whether the original dwelling for which housing benefit was paid is still actually in use.

The review is permissible up to the expiry of ten years after the notification of the corresponding housing benefit approval.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Transport, Building and Digitalisation


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Stadt Papenburg - Bürgerdienste Soziales
Address: Von-Galen-Str. 11, 26871 Aschendorf
Telephone: 04961 82-144
Building Access

Data protection information

Landkreis Emsland
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible
bank account:
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Emsländische Volksbank
IBAN: DE26266600600120050000
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Sparkasse Emsland
IBAN: DE39266500010000001339
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Postbank Hannover
IBAN: DE36250100300012132306


Marc-André Burgdorf
responsible for:
Bernd Otten (Datenschutzbeauftragter)
Telephone: 05931 44-1605
Fax: 05931 44-391605
responsible for:

Stadt Papenburg - Rechnungsprüfung
Postal address: Post Office Box 1755 , 26857 Papenburg
Address: Hauptkanal rechts 68/69, 26871 Papenburg
Telephone: 04961 82-320
Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)