Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Applying for an extension of the residence permit for the family reunification of a foreign child with a German parent

As the legal representative, you can apply for an extension of the residence permit for a foreign minor unmarried child, so that the child can continue to live with you in Germany.

Please note that your child must not be married, divorced or widowed. Minor means that he or she has not yet reached the age of 18.

The establishment of a family partnership between you and the child is a prerequisite for obtaining a residence permit. This must be intended and actually possible. If you, as the parent, have the right of custody, the intention and possibility of establishing family cohabitation can usually be assumed. However, it is not necessarily required that you are entitled to exercise personal custody. However, the fatherhood or motherhood to the minor child must be proven.

If only the father is German, there must be an acknowledgment of paternity that is to be regarded as valid.

If the child has already been in possession of a residence permit for three years, an application for a settlement permit may be considered.

If the child has meanwhile reached the age of 18, the child can receive an independent right of residence, independent of the family reunion.

Process flow

  • The extension of the residence permit must be applied for the child before the validity of the current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether the responsible foreigners authority allows the application to be submitted online or has a special application form available.
  • If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and the identity of the child as well as the available documents will be checked (please bring all documents, if possible in original, to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, the child's fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card for short). Fingerprints will not be taken from children under the age of six.
  • The Aliens Department orders the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.


  • One parent with parental authority has German citizenship.
  • The child has a valid identity document.
  • The child is a minor at the time of application, neither married nor divorced or widowed.
  • The German parent has his or her habitual residence in Germany.
  • The German parent is still actually and legally willing and able to maintain a family relationship with the child. This is assumed if the right of personal custody for the child continues to exist. However, the right of custody is not a prerequisite for the extension of the residence permit.
  • There is no reason for expulsion against the child.

Which documents are required?

  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example passport or passport substitute) of the child and the German parent
  • Current biometric photo of the child in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of paternity acknowledgment, if parents are not married and reunification with the German father is to take place.
  • If one custodial parent remains abroad:
    • Proof of custody,
    • Declaration of consent of the parent living abroad.
  • The documents and information must generally be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Aliens' Registration Office may require less or further proof.

What are the fees?


  • 48,00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • 46,50 for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Application deadline: 6 to 8

Note (for more information on the deadline):

At least six to eight before the expiration of the child's still valid residence permit, the application should be received by the Aliens' Registration Office.

Period of validity: at least 1


The residence permit is extended for a limited period of time. After holding the residence permit for three years, a settlement permit can be applied for.

If the child has come of age in the meantime (i.e. has reached the age of 18), the child can be granted an independent right of residence, independent of the family reunion.

Processing duration

Duration: approx. 6 to 8

Note for further information on processing time:

It takes about four to six weeks for the Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

Applications / forms

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes


  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Action before the court named in the notice of appeal if the appeal is not granted
  • An action may be brought before the competent administrative court against a negative decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • A pre-litigation procedure (opposition) does not take place in Lower Saxony.
  • Detailed information can be found in the negative decision.

What else should I know?

  • The extension of the residence permit for the child must be applied for in good time before the validity of the current residence permit expires.
  • Please make sure that your information is correct and complete to the best of your knowledge. This is the only way the Foreigners' Registration Office can process your request without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be disadvantageous for you. In a serious case, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Aliens' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years or expulsion from the Federal territory.

Technically approved by

Ministry of the Interior and Local Government of the State of Brandenburg

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)