For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Explaining common care for a child

If you, as the parents of a child together, are not married to each other at the time of his birth, only the mother has custody. Written information can be provided about the sole care of the mother, the so-called negative certificate.

If you want to have joint custody, both parents must have this declared to the Youth Welfare Office or a notary and notarized.

You can also make the declaration of custody if your child has not yet been born but has already been conceived. However, this is still possible and necessary after the birth if you do not want to marry each other and do not want to seek a court settlement.
A declaration of custody must be publicly notarized. You can arrange this at the youth welfare office responsible for you or for a fee at a notary.

After the submission of concurring declarations of custody, parental authority can only be changed by a decision of the family court.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page