For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Applying for an identity card due to name change after divorce

After a name change, your identity card is invalid. If, for example, you have had your family name changed after a divorce or the annulment of a civil partnership, you must apply for a new ID.
There is one exception: as long as you have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport, with the new name, you do not have to apply for a new identity card.
The EU logo on the front of the identity card, which will be introduced from 2 August 2021, will not cause ID cards without this logo to become invalid.
The validity period depends on your age at the time of application:

  • under 24 years: Identity card is valid for 6 years.
  • from 24 years: Identity card is valid for 10 years.

A temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.
You can submit the application to your citizens' office at your main residence. Applications to any other citizens' office are possible if an important reason is explained. This incurs a non-competence surcharge, i.e. the costs of the exhibition increase.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page