For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Applying for an identity card due to name change in case of marriage

After a name change, your identity card is invalid. So if your family name has changed, for example, after a marriage or the establishment of a civil partnership, you must apply for a new ID. The same applies to your children if their names also change with the marriage.

There is one exception: as long as you have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport, with the new name, you do not have to apply for a new identity card.

The validity period depends on your age at the time of application:

  • under 24 years: Identity card is valid for 6 years.
  • from 24 years: Identity card is valid for 10 years.
  • A temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.

You can submit the application to your citizens' office at your main residence. If you do not apply for your new identity card at your main residence, you need an important reason. In addition, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 will be charged to the fee. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have selected in advance, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt acknowledges your reason.

If you need your new identity card immediately after marriage with a change of name or after establishing a civil partnership with a name change, for example for a trip abroad, you can apply for your ID with the new name at the earliest 8 weeks before the planned date of marriage or establishment of a civil partnership. As an exception, the Bürgeramt will then have the date of the planned marriage or the establishment of the civil partnership entered as the date of issue. The new identity card may only be handed over after the marriage or after receipt of the name declaration at the responsible registry office. Before handing over the identity card, the name must be checked on the basis of the marriage certificate or the certified marriage register printout or the certificate of the name.

When applying, the Bürgeramt draws your attention to the fact that in all cases in which the marriage date specified at the time of application is subsequently postponed to a later date and consequently the date of issue of the identity card with the new surname is before the new marriage date, the identity card is invalid. It may not be handed over. You may have to re-apply for your identity card for a fee.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page