For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Register of craftsmen Registration of equivalent examinations

For the independent operation of a craft subject to approval of Annex A to § 1 paragraph 2 of the Crafts Code (HwO) as a standing trade, an entry in the register of craftsmen is required. You or your operations manager can be appointed as

  • Diplom-Ingenieur/ Diplom-Ingenieur or Ingenieurin/Ingenieurin/Ingenieur
  • Graduate of a technical university or a state-approved or state-recognized technical college for technology and design

be entered in the register of craftsmen with the craft subject to admission, to which the study or school focus corresponds.

The same applies to nationals of the EU, EEA or Switzerland who have obtained a comparable university degree in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland; other professional qualifications are taken into account via § 9 HwO i.V.m. of the EU/EEA Crafts Regulation (EU/EEA HwV). An entry can also be made if a German state or state-recognized examination equivalent to the master craftsman's examination is available (e.B. industrial master craftsman).

The competent body shall assess whether the conditions for registration are met. The decision on registration is also taken by the competent authority.

Annex A to § 1 paragraph 2 of the Crafts Code (HwO)

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page