For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Licence granted to insurance intermediaries

The activity as an insurance intermediary requires a licence issued by the competent authority.

The obligation to provide information applies to holders of the permit.

At the first business contact, certain information must therefore be provided to the customer. Mandatory information is e.B.:

  • the name and address of the insurance adviser,
  • Statement
    • whether certain insurance companies are represented (insurance representation) or
    • whether insurance is brokered (brokerage) or
    • whether advice is given on insurance (insurance advice).

Without permission, an insurance intermediary needs to mediate in particular in the following cases:

  • The mediation of insurance is carried out slightly as a sideline ("minor intermediary" or "minor intermediary").
  • The placement takes place only as a supplement to another activity.
    Example: Mediation of liability insurance by car dealers. However, this facilitation only applies under certain conditions and only if a licence exemption for product-ancillary insurance intermediaries is applied for.

An entry in the register of intermediaries is necessary.

With the application for authorisation as an insurance intermediary, an application for entry in the register of intermediaries may be submitted to the competent authority at the same time.

Special features for foreign nationals

Foreign nationals who have an establishment in another Member State of the European Union (EU) must register in that country. They do not need a permit in Germany nor can they be entered in the German insurance intermediary register.

The same provisions apply to foreign nationals from non-EU countries as to German nationals. These also apply to EU citizens who register a corresponding business exclusively in Germany.

General provisions on immigration law must be complied with. If certain German training courses are sufficient to prove competence, comparable certificates from the European Economic Area (EEA) are considered equivalent.

Insurance mediation registers

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page