Conversion of an existing domestic civil partnership into a marriage Application
An existing domestic civil partnership is converted into a marriage if both partners declare before the registrar personally and in simultaneous presence that they wish to marry each other.
The civil partnership is continued as a marriage after the conversion.
The intended conversion of the existing domestic civil partnership must be notified to the competent authority.
Who should I contact?
The registry office of the municipality, the Joint Community and the city in which you or your future spouse have his/her domicile or habitual residence are responsible for registering the conversion of the marriage.
If neither you nor your partner have his/her domicile or habitual residence in Germany, the registry office of the municipality, the joint municipality and the city before which the civil partnership is to be converted into a marriage is responsible for the registration.
Each German registry office is responsible for the conversion.
- Existence of a domestic civil partnership between the declarants
Which documents are required?
- valid passport or identity card or other official identification document bearing a photograph
- a certificate from the registration authority of the main residence, showing the first and last names, marital status, place of residence and nationality
- in addition, a certificate from the registration authority of the secondary residence, if the registration of the conversion of the civil partnership into a marriage is made at the registry office of the secondary residence
- their civil partnership certificate or a printout from the civil partnership register, unless the existing civil partnership was established at the registry office of the application for conversion
Additional documents may be required. Please contact the registry office responsible for registering the conversion.
What are the fees?
Fee: free of chargePayment in advance: Noat the registry office responsible for registration and within the normal office hours of the registry office
Emission: 25,00 EURPayment in advance: Noat a registry office other than the one responsible for the registration and within the normal working hours of the registry office
Emission: 80,00 EURPayment in advance: Nooutside the normal office hours of the registry office, except in case of life-threatening illness of one of the spouses
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.