For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Apply for unemployment benefit II

The unemployment benefit II serves as basic security, i.e. to secure your livelihood. The basic security for jobseekers supports you with

  • benefits designed to help you find a job,
  • Help in finding a training place and
  • Benefits to secure your livelihood.

The basic security benefits are transferred to your account every month in advance.

The job centre checks at regular intervals whether you are in need of help. The job centre therefore normally approves the benefits for 12 months. Sometimes the Jobcenter grants unemployment benefit II for only 6 months, for example, if your income is different every month or, if necessary, within the framework of the regulations for simplified access to the basic security systems.

Lump sum

You will receive a lump sum to secure your livelihood. It covers your needs, such as nutrition, clothing and personal hygiene, and is adjusted annually. For 2022, the following amounts apply to the standard requirements: 

  • Single, single parents, adults with underage partners: EUR 449.00
  • Adult partners: EUR 404,00
  • Other persons of legal age aged 18 to 24 and persons under the age of 25 who move out of their parental household without assurance from the municipal body (18 to 24 years): EUR 360.00
  • Children from 14 to 17 years: EUR 376,00
  • Children from 6 to 13 years: EUR 311,00
  • Children from 0 to 5 years: EUR 285,00

Additional requirements

If you need more money due to certain circumstances, you can also receive benefits for it under certain circumstances. Benefits for so-called additional needs are received, for example, expectant mothers from the 13th week of pregnancy, single parents, people with disabilities or people who need a more costly diet for medical reasons.

In addition, you can receive the following services:

  • Services for your accommodation and heating, as far as these costs are reasonable. What costs are reasonable depends on the place where you live. Note: As part of the rules on simplified access to basic security schemes, the actual accommodation and heating costs for authorisation periods starting until 31 December 2022 are regularly taken into account.
    • Special case: If you are under 25 years old and not married and want to move out with your parents or one of your parents, you can only receive these benefits if you have a so-called assurance from the job center. You must apply for the assurance at your job centre. In your application, state the reasons for your move. You will receive the assurance if
      • speak serious social reasons for moving out of your parents' home and you can prove them,
      • the move to the new apartment is important to take up a new job, or
      • there is another important reason.
    • If you move without the assurance of the job center, the costs for the apartment and the heating will not be covered by the job center. Also money for the initial equipment of your apartment will then not be paid.
  • If you move to a new apartment (after the assurance has been given) or have to accept a new job and have to move for it, the job center will pay you the necessary relocation costs and, if necessary, grant the rental deposit as a loan.
  • In emergencies where your livelihood is at risk, you can get a loan in the form of cash or in-kind benefits on a separate application. This can be, for example, if something has been stolen from you or something has broken. However, the standard requirement already includes an amount to save. This means that you usually have to pay for purchases from the money saved from the standard rate.
  • You can also receive one-time support on separate request in certain situations. Examples of this are an initial equipment of the apartment or an initial equipment during pregnancy and childbirth.
  • Contributions to your health and long-term care insurance.
  • Services for education and participation in social and cultural life for children, adolescents and young adults, such as
    • School trips,
    • communal lunch or
    • Equipped with school supplies.
  • You must apply separately for extracurricular learning support (tutoring). Note: In the case of individual assistance for learning support during the pandemic and immediately thereafter, the separate application for reimbursement of expenses until 31 December 2023 (as part of the action programme "Catch up after Corona" action programme for children and young people adopted on 5 May 2021 will no longer apply). 

Consideration of income and assets

When calculating unemployment benefit II, your income and assets and that of all persons with whom you live in a community of needs is taken into account.

Income includes:

  • income from a job (including from the self-employed),
  • Compensation benefits such as unemployment benefit I, parental allowance or sickness benefit,
  • capital and interest income as well as income from shareholdings,
  • income from letting and leasing, agriculture and forestry,
  • maintenance and child benefit,
  • Pensions
  • one-off income, such as tax refunds or inheritances, and
  • Vocational training allowance, training allowance, BAföG.

The following are deducted from this:

  • Taxes attributable to income (e.g. payroll tax and income tax).
  • compulsory contributions to statutory social security (e.g. health insurance, long-term care insurance, pension insurance) and
  • advertising costs, i.e. certain costs caused by the exercise of your profession,
  • legally prescribed insurance (e.g. motor vehicle liability),
  • a flat rate of EUR 30.00 per month for private insurance, such as household contents insurance and
  • Contributions for a Riester pension.

In addition, a certain amount is not credited from the earned income. This allowance depends on the amount of your gross income earned.

Your assets will be taken into account in the examination of entitlement to unemployment benefit II if they are usable and exceed a certain allowance.

Note: Under the rules on simplified access to basic security schemes, assets are not taken into account for 6 months, regularly for authorisation periods starting until 31 December 2022. Assets are nevertheless taken into account for these authorisation periods if they are substantial.

For the consideration of assets, the following applies: Assets are usable if they can be used directly for subsistence or if their monetary value can be used for subsistence through consumption, sale, loan, rental or lease. Assets that you cannot or may not freely dispose of are not usable, for example because the asset is pledged. 

Assets include, for example: 

  • Cash
  • Balances on investment accounts, savings, building savings, savings bonds, securities,
  • Capital life insurance and
  • House and real estate and condominiums of inappropriate size as well as other rights in rem to land.

Your assets do not take into account:

  • A basic allowance for you and, if applicable, for your partner. This basic allowance has an amount of EUR 150.00 for each completed year of life. So you can calculate your basic allowance by calculating your age times 150. The minimum amount of the basic allowance is EUR 3,100.00. This basic allowance also applies to any minor child entitled to benefits.
  • Allowances for necessary purchases. Here you and every person who lives in your community of needs is entitled to an allowance of EUR 750.00.
  • Other pensions. This refers to assets that you have built up for retirement provision – for example, in a life insurance policy. For each completed year of life, you and, if applicable, your partner are entitled to EUR 750.00 free of charge. However, you are not allowed to use this money before you retire. This is contractually recorded in the so-called exclusion of exploitation.
  • Reasonable household contents.
  • An appropriate motor vehicle for every person capable of working in the community of need. 
  • Assets which are indispensable for the commencement or continuation of vocational training or earning capacity.
  • Note: As part of the regulations on simplified access to basic security systems, the asset assessment is limited to only significant assets for authorisation periods starting by 31 December 2022.

Performance Degradations

Please note that unemployment benefit II can be reduced if you behave in breach of duty without good cause. Conduct contrary to duty means: if you despite written instruction about legal consequences

  • refuse to fulfil your obligations as set out in the integration agreement (you conclude the integration agreement together with your personal contact person),
  • refuse to take up or continue a reasonable job, training, employment opportunity or a sponsored employment relationship or prevent its initiation by your conduct, or
  • do not take a reasonable measure for integration into work or training, break off or give rise to dropping out.

For each of these breaches of duty, unemployment benefit II can be reduced by 30 percent of the relevant standard requirement for a maximum period of 3 months.

Please also note your reporting obligations at the job centre. If you do not comply with a registration request from the job center without good cause, your unemployment benefit II can be reduced by 10 percent of the relevant standard requirement. Any further failure to report can lead to a further reduction of 10 percent of the standard requirement.

The monthly reduction amount may not exceed 30 percent of the relevant standard requirement. A reduction in performance may not take place if this would lead to exceptional hardship in the specific individual case. If these obligations are subsequently fulfilled or if you subsequently agree to fulfil your obligations, the job centre shall provide the services in full again from this point in time.

The reduction shall not continue for more than one month from that date.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page