For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Carriage of goods by road for hire or reward - Apply for a permit

Carriage of goods by road is the commercial or paid transport of goods by motor vehicles which, including trailers, have a gross vehicle weight higher than 3.5 tonnes.

On 21 May 2022, new regulations on the market and professional access regulations for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 2.5 t will come into force in international traffic. Accordingly, companies require the Community licence for the international commercial carriage of goods by road with vehicles of more than 2.5 tonnes and not more than 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight.

In the future, the requirements for access to the profession, i.e. requirements for a branch office, proof of professional suitability, financial capacity and personal reliability for the aforementioned transports, must also be met.

In principle, the carriage of goods by road for hire or reward is subject to authorisation. So-called own-account transport, i.e. the carriage of goods by road for the company's own purposes under certain conditions, is not subject to authorisation.

If the vehicles are only in use throughout Germany, you need a permit for commercial road haulage (according to § 3 of the Goods Road Transport Act). For cross-border journeys within the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA)* and Switzerland, you need a Community licence (EU licence) and, if applicable, a driver attestation for third-country nationals.

You can also use the Community licence for transport within Germany and the EEA states ("cabotage traffic").

For commercial road haulage with countries outside the European Economic Area, in addition to the national permit for the German share of the route (permit for commercial road haulage or Community license), you need bilateral permits or so-called CEMT permits for route shares in third countries.

If you are travelling to or through Switzerland as part of the commercial carriage of goods by road, you will need a valid Community licence.

Licences for the carriage of goods by road for hire or reward and the Community licence may be granted for a limited period, subject to conditions or with conditions. The national permit can be granted for a period of validity of up to 10 years. The Community licence shall be issued for a period of 5 years.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page