Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Apply for support for participation in extra-company vocational training at the job centre

An extra-company vocational training is an alternative to training in a company if you have not yet found an apprenticeship and you have no prospects of how to proceed in the future.

You can also consider extra-company vocational training if your in-company or extra-company vocational training has ended prematurely and it is currently not possible to take up in-company vocational training even with additional support. They can then continue their training with a measure provider. The previous training period is – if possible – taken into account.

It doesn't matter how old you are.

Your extra-company training takes place in a recognised training occupation. Liberal professions and nursing professions cannot be trained outside the company.

Their training takes place with a measure provider. The costs are covered by the job centre. They receive a training allowance and are covered by social insurance.

Under certain conditions, you can also receive vocational training allowance.

For the theoretical part of vocational training, you attend a vocational school. Your practical part will take place depending on the model

  • in principle, in the workshops of the measure provider instead of including in-company training phases, or
  • in principle takes place at a training company with which the measure provider cooperates.

During training with your measure provider, you can, among other things,

  • Tutoring in individual subjects or in learning the German language,
  • preparation for class tests and exams,
  • support for everyday problems,
  • mediating discussions with your trainers, teachers and parents


An experienced team of trainers, teachers and social pedagogues will accompany you throughout the entire time. Together with you, they develop a very personal support plan based on the training framework plan.

During the extra-company vocational training, your transition to in-company training is supported.

If there are certain reasons, you can also complete your training part-time.

Even as a young person with disabilities, you can take part in extra-company vocational training if your individual support needs can be covered and you can participate in working life through the training.

Process flow

You can take part in an extra-company vocational training after a personal interview at the job centre, if you meet the eligibility requirements, if there is a corresponding measure and a free place.

  • Contact the responsible job centre and arrange an interview. Please use the website of the Federal Employment Agency to make an appointment for a personal consultation or to transmit documents and evidence online conveniently and securely.
    • If you receive benefits under SGB II, the job centre is responsible for you. Otherwise, the Employment Agency is responsible for you. You can find the department of the Federal Employment Agency or the Job Centre responsible for you via the service finder. It depends on where you live.
  • On site, the integration specialist of the job center records your data and checks whether you meet the requirements for participation in extra-company vocational training.
  • If this is the case, the integration specialist of the job centre will name the training provider suitable for your participation.
  • The job centre informs the measure provider that you will start an apprenticeship with him.
  • Before the start of the training, they will be invited by the measure provider to a coordination or admission interview.
  • You conclude a training contract with the measure provider.
  • If the practical part of your training takes place in a company, you also conclude a cooperation agreement with your measure provider and the company.
  • The measure provider will inform you in writing about the start and location of your training and what you need to get started.

Who should I contact?

You can find the office responsible for you via the service finder on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.

Competent authority

You can find the office responsible for you via the service finder on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.


You can take part in extra-company vocational training if:

  • You have completed your compulsory education, whether with or without a school leaving certificate.
  • You have not yet found any training and have no perspective on how to proceed in the future.
  • Their integration into in-company vocational training cannot be achieved with support accompanying training, for example with assisted training.
  • You are learning impaired or socially disadvantaged.

You are one of the persons with learning disabilities if

  • you have completed compulsory schooling but do not have a school leaving certificate,
  • you have attended a special school with a focus on learning or
  • You are unlikely to be able to successfully complete in-company training despite having completed a lower secondary school leaving certificate or a comparable school leaving certificate.

The group of socially disadvantaged persons includes you,

  • if there are considerable social, personal and/or psychological burdens and the requirements of in-company training cannot therefore be achieved.
  • Indications for this can be:
  • Behavioural problems
  • Poor performance (e.g. reading and spelling difficulties)
  • Single parent
  • Young delinquents
  • young people who had an addiction problem
  • young people with a migrant background with language deficits or difficulties settling in to a foreign environment.

If you want to continue your training in an extra-company vocational training because your company-based or other extra-company training relationship has been terminated prematurely, you do not have to belong to the group of persons with learning disabilities or socially disadvantaged persons. The prerequisite for this is, among other things, that you can complete your training within the contract period of the measure and that a free place is available.

Special requirements for foreigners:

As a foreigner, you can generally receive funding if you are allowed to do an apprenticeship or work in Germany, taking into account the requirements already listed – unless legally prescribed exclusions apply. You can inquire about this at your responsible employment agency or your responsible job centre.

You are not entitled to participate in extra-company vocational training if you:

  • came to Germany a maximum of 5 years ago to work, study or train,
  • are permitted or tolerated.

As a newly arrived eligible foreigner, you can generally be funded after a stay period of 3 months.

Which documents are required?

  • You will need your last school report and your CV.
  • As a foreigner, you need proof of your current residence permit.
  • If you do not have a school leaving certificate but have completed compulsory schooling, you will need appropriate proof.
  • If necessary, further documents to be provided by you may result from the consultation with the integration specialists of the job center.

What are the fees?


What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There is no deadline. Extra-company vocational training usually begins in August or September of each year. You should therefore audition for participation as early as possible before the start of the extra-company training in the job centre.

Before the start of the training, you conclude a training contract with the training provider, which also gives you a fixed time frame for the duration of the training.

Applications / forms

Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: Yes



Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Arbeit
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes


Telephone: 05931 44-0
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)