Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Apply for a loan or need grant for training

During an (external) in-company training or, for example, a pre-vocational training measure, you may have a supplementary entitlement to citizen's allowance. However, priority must be given to vocational training allowance or training allowance.

The same applies if you are a pupil in school education and receive benefits under BAföG. Even if you receive BAföG during your studies and live in your parents' household, you can still receive supplementary citizen's allowance. The following services are therefore not relevant for you.

If you are studying and do not live with your parents, are in training and are not entitled to educational support under BAföG (for example, due to exceeding the maximum funding period or the age limit) or are in training and at boarding school, the following benefits are eligible for you:

Benefits for additional additional needs

Under certain conditions, you can apply for a subsidy for so-called additional needs in addition to the educational support (e.g. BAföG benefits). These include:

  • Additional needs for expectant mothers
  • Additional needs for single parents
  • Additional requirements for medically necessary, costly nutrition
  • Additional needs if, in individual cases, there is an unavoidable, ongoing, not just one-off special need (e.g. costs for exercising the right of access)

If you have income that exceeds your standard needs and the costs of your accommodation and heating, the excess amount reduces the benefit for the additional needs.

Initial equipment for pregnancy and childbirth

If you are pregnant or have given birth, you are entitled to additional financial support for initial equipment, such as clothing or furniture. The condition is that you are in a financial emergency.

Hardship loan

In cases of particular hardship, you can get a loan during your training. This is possible if extraordinary, serious circumstances jeopardize your education and/or if you find yourself in an emergency situation that threatens your existence.

You can receive a hardship loan if you do not receive BAföG or if your BAföG benefits are not sufficient to cover your living expenses and you are not in a position to remedy the situation by taking up gainful employment.

You have to repay the interest-free hardship loan after the training.

Hardship allowance

If, as a pupil in a school education, you do not receive educational support because you have exceeded certain age limits and are a hardship case, you may be able to receive a subsidy if this is absolutely necessary for integration into working life. The subsidy may be paid for:

  • Standard and additional requirements,
  • requirements for accommodation and heating,
  • Contributions to health and long-term care insurance.

The age limit for educational support is usually 45 years, further exceptions are possible.

Students cannot receive a hardship grant, but only a hardship loan.

Transitional loans

If you are already receiving basic security benefits and are starting an apprenticeship, you can receive a transitional loan for the first month. This loan can help you bridge a financial gap until you receive your first training allowance or educational grant. It prevents your start of training from being jeopardized. It is granted only for the first month of training and is paid at the beginning of the month. The amount is based on the citizen's money.

You have to repay the interest-free loan after the training.

Process flow

You must apply for a loan or grant. The application is possible informally. Alternatively, you can also submit an application with the online application for citizen's money.

  • Ask the job centre responsible for your place of residence about the application procedure.
  • Benefits for additional needs must be applied for. Application forms are available for this purpose, which you can pick up at the job centre or have sent to you. The forms can also be found on the Internet.
  • To apply for a loan, a hardship allowance or initial equipment for pregnancy and childbirth, your local job centre may use a separate application form. Your job centre will tell you which documents you need to submit for your specific case.
  • Fill out the application form.
  • If you are under the age of majority, have a legal guardian sign the application.
  • The job centre will review your application.
  • The job centre will check your assets and income.
  • The job centre makes a decision on a case-by-case basis.
    • Hardship subsidy: Whether the requirements for a subsidy are met is decided by the responsible placement specialist.
  • You will receive a notification as to whether your application has been approved or rejected.
  • If you are granted a loan, the job center will agree with you when and how you will repay the money.

Who should I contact?

You can find the job centre responsible for you via the office finder on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.

Competent authority

You can find the job centre responsible for you via the office finder on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.


If you find yourself in a financial emergency situation at the beginning or during your training, you can apply for benefits for trainees. Where:


  • As a trainee or trainee, you are not entitled to social benefits such as citizen's allowance and
  • You are in a financial emergency situation and
  • You cannot pay for your own livelihood.

As a rule, the following can benefit from the services mentioned:

    • Students who do not live with their parents
    • Trainees who have reached the statutory BAföG age limit
    • Trainees in vocational training or a pre-vocational training measure who are accommodated with full board
      • in a boarding school or
      • in a dormitory.
  • Trainees with disabilities who are entitled to training allowance, for example during vocational training, pre-vocational training or basic training, and who are accommodated
    • in a boarding school,
    • in a dormitory, or
    • in a special facility for people with disabilities,

if the costs for accommodation and meals are covered by the Employment Agency or another service provider.

Loans in general

  • Without a loan, the start of your education or its successful completion would be jeopardized for financial reasons.

Hardship loan

  • They are not able to earn extra money through a part-time job, for example because
    • you are a single parent or
    • you have a disability or
    • you are caring for a relative, or
    • your residence permit in Germany does not allow it.
  • You can be classified as a hardship case if extraordinary, serious circumstances jeopardize your education and/or if you find yourself in an emergency situation that threatens your existence.

Hardship allowance

  • You are at least 45 years old and can therefore no longer receive BAföG due to your age and
  • You are in a school education, without the completion of which your professional integration is seriously endangered, but you are not studying.
  • You can be classified as a hardship case if extraordinary, serious circumstances jeopardize your education and/or if you find yourself in an emergency situation that threatens your existence.

Which documents are required?

  • Applications forms:
    • The application for benefits for trainees and students according to § 27 SGB II can be submitted informally. In principle, it is submitted with the main application ("Application for benefits to secure livelihood according to the Second Book of the Social Code (SGB II)"). However, in order for the job centre to be able to obtain the information from the applicants that it needs to check the entitlement to benefits and, if applicable, its amount, the job centre may provide its own forms.
  • Valid identification document:
    • Identity card or
    • valid passport with current registration certificate
    • Residence permit
  • Proof of income, e.g. a salary certificate or current bank statements (e.g. on pensions, sickness benefit, child benefit, alimony, maintenance advance, training allowance, BAföG)
  • Proof of training or studies (e.g. training or matriculation certificate)
  • Proof of existing assets (e.g. savings, shares, securities, building society contracts)
  • Proof of expenses, for example by submitting bank statements (or, for example, rental agreement, rent receipts, heating costs, documents on insurance premiums)
  • Proof of earlier receipt of benefits, also at another job center (notice of approval, proof of performance)

What are the fees?

You don't have to bear any costs if you have an account. If you do not have an account, you will receive a payment order to offset a cash payment (ZzV-Bar). That's a check. However, this will incur costs that will be deducted directly from the service to which you are entitled. Since the amount of the cost of the payment order can vary, please contact your local job center for more information. You can have the cheque paid out in cash. Payment is made exclusively via the Postbank branches. The ZzV-Bar is a means of payment of Postbank AG, the use of which has been agreed separately between the Federal Employment Agency and Postbank.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There is no deadline. However, the benefits will only be granted from the first day of the month in which you submitted the application.

Therefore, make sure that you submit the application as soon as possible when you become aware of your financial need or announce itself and not only afterwards.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: Yes


  • Contradiction
  • Summary proceedings before the Social Court
  • Action before the Social Court

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Arbeit
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes


Telephone: 05931 44-0
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)