For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Receive certificate for the carriage of narcotics when travelling abroad

As a patient, you may export or import narcotics prescribed to you by your doctor in the quantity appropriate for the duration of a trip as a travel requirement.

For journeys of up to 30 days in member states of the Schengen Agreement, you can take medically prescribed narcotics with you, provided that you have a certificate completed by the attending physician. You must have this certificate certified before the start of the trip.

This rule also applies if you are carrying narcotics that can be prescribed in the country of origin but not in the country of destination.

The carriage of narcotics by authorized persons is not permitted.

For trips outside the "Schengen area", you should clarify the legal situation in the country to be traveled before starting the trip. After that, you must have a multilingual certificate issued by your doctor.

As a patient, you should also inquire with the responsible diplomatic mission of the destination country in Germany before travelling with you when carrying certain means of substitution (e.g. methadone).

As a doctor, dentist or veterinarian, you may carry narcotics in the context of charitable missions abroad (e.g. Doctors Without Borders) or as a medical practice requirement in cross-border traffic, if you use them in appropriate quantities and for the purpose of practicing medical profession or providing first aid.

You must be able to identify yourself as a doctor (doctor's card). Before travelling, please check with the diplomatic mission of the country of destination whether the narcotics can be taken with you and whether permits are required if necessary.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page