Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Permits and exceptions to excessive road use: granting

Events for which public roads are used more than usual require permission. In particular, these are:

  • motorsport events with motor vehicles, vintage cars or motorcycles
  • Bicycle races, bike tours, triathlon events, folk walks and races
  • Journeys in a closed convoy
  • Removals
  • Street festivals, traditional events, markets

Racing with motor vehicles on public roads is prohibited.


Permission or exemption may only be granted for events organized and responsibly carried out by an organizer. The organizer must guarantee that the event will be carried out in accordance with the conditions and requirements of the licensing authority. A permit or exemption shall be granted upon written request. The road traffic authority examines the application and the submitted documents and hears the bodies to be involved (police and road construction authorities, forestry and nature conservation authorities).
The permit or exemption may be subject to conditions and obligations and to orders for traffic regulation and traffic-restricting measures. These measures will be coordinated in advance with the organizer.

Exceptions to prohibitions or limitations are possible in certain individual cases or generally for certain applicants. An exception may be granted only in cases of special urgency. Traffic safety must not be affected by the exemption. If necessary, this will be ensured by appropriate requirements and conditions.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district and the city on whose territory the event is to take place.

Which documents are required?

  • Route map
  • written confirmation by the organizer that the organizer is aware that the event constitutes a special use within the meaning of § 8 Federal Highway Act. In particular, the declaration must confirm knowledge of the reimbursement claims under road law, according to which the licensee must reimburse all costs incurred by the carrier of the road construction burden due to the special use.
  • Social
  • if applicable, traffic sign plan and diversion plan if roads need to be closed

What are the fees?

Depending on the size of the event, the fee is between 10.20 euros and 2,301.00 euros. Information on the fees can be obtained from the competent authority.

In addition to the fee for granting the permit, fees for the special use of the roads may also apply.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The application must be submitted in good time, at least four weeks (at least two months for events that go beyond the territory of a road traffic authority) before the start of the event, and earlier for large events.

What else should I know?

If the event is to be granted beyond the district of the competent authority or an exception to the ban on racing on public roads, the Lower Saxony State Authority for Road Construction and Transport (Department 23) is responsible for approving the event.


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes


Denise Schulz
Telephone: 05931 44-4045
K II, 45
responsible for:
Address: Göttinger Chaussee 76A , 30453 Hannover
Telephone: 0511 3034-01
Fax: 0511 3034-2099
Transport Connection:
Station Schünemannplatz
Tramway: Linie 3 oder 7
Station Telefunken
Bus: Linie 300
Station Hannover-Linden Fischerhof
City Train: S 1, S 2 oder S 5
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)