For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Private university: recognition

If you want to operate a private (non-governmental) university as a free agency, you need state recognition from the ministry responsible for higher education. Only state-recognised universities may use a corresponding designation (university, university, university of applied sciences), take university examinations and award university degrees.

The establishment of a foreign university also requires state recognition by the ministry responsible for the subject. Establishments of state or state-recognised higher education institutions from Member States of the European Union could be considered recognised under certain conditions, their establishment must be notified six months in advance.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page