For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Permission for insurance intermediaries to grant

A licence issued by the competent body is required for the activity of insurance intermediary and insurance intermediary.

The obligation to provide information applies to holders of the permit.

At the first business contact, certain information must therefore be provided to the customer. Mandatory information is e.B:

  • the name and address of the insurance adviser,
  • Statement
    • whether certain insurance policies are represented (insurance representation) or
    • whether insurance is mediated (brokerage activity) or
    • whether to advise on insurance (insurance advice).

Without permission, an insurance intermediary must mediate, in particular in the following cases:

  • Insurance is provided as a minor acquisition ("bagatell vermittlerin" or "bagatell vermittler").
  • The mediation is only done as a supplement to another activity.
    Example: Mediation of liability insurance by car dealers. However, this facilitation applies only under certain conditions and only if an exemption from authorisation is applied for for insurance intermediaries with a medical scheme.

An entry in the intermediary register is necessary.

An application for authorisation as an insurance intermediary may, at the same time, be applied for registration in the register of intermediaries at the competent authority.

Special features for foreign nationals

Foreign nationals established in another Member State of the European Union (EU) must register in that country. They do not need a permit in Germany, nor can they be registered in the German insurance intermediary register.

Foreign nationals from non-EU countries are subject to the same rules as German nationals. These also apply to EU nationals who register a corresponding trade only in Germany.

General provisions on foreign law must be complied with. If certain German training courses are sufficient to prove their expertise, comparable evidence from the European Economic Area (EEA) is considered equivalent.

Insurance mediation register

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page