For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Motor vehicle re-registration

As a vehicle owner, register your vehicle to a new address and apply for a new vehicle registration numberif you move your residence to another municipality.

Re-labelling (assignment of a new number plate) may be waived if the vehicle is changed within registration areas where the same distinguishing marks are kept. This applies only to the cities and counties or the regions of Göttingen, Hanover, Oldenburg and Osnabrück. As things stand, there are no plans to extend the relabelling waiver to other approval areas.

The obligation to change the name of the vehicle owner to another registration area, as stipulated in the Vehicle Registration Ordinance, was lifted on 01.01.2015. Vehicle owners can now decide for themselves whether they want to continue to keep the previous number plate or whether to have a new one allocated to them when changing their residence within the federal territory. It should be noted that the obligation to notify the competent authority of the change of residence remains and that a modification of the registration certificate Part I (vehicle certificate) is still required.
For further information, please contact the competent body.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page