Swap your old driver's license for a new driver's license
Many holders of a driving licence are still on the road with the old paper driving licence. Since 19.01.2022, these documents have gradually ceased to be valid – staggered according to the year of birth of the holder.
If the validity of your old paper driving licence has expired, you must have it replaced by the currently valid uniform European Union (EU) card licence.
As the holder of an older driving licence in credit card format, you are also affected by the exchange campaign.
Card driving licences issued from 19.01.2013 are limited to 15 years. Driving licences that have been previously issued are subject to certain deadlines for exchanging them.
Based on your year of birth, you can see in the following overview by when you have to exchange your driver's license. These deadlines apply to driving licences issued up to and including 31.12.1998:
- before 1953 - 19.01.2033
- 1953 to 1958 - 19.07.2022
- 1959 to 1964 - 19.01.2023
- 1965 to 1970 - 19.01.2024
- 1971 or later - 19.012025
Based on the year of issue, you can see in the following overview by when you have to exchange your driver's license. These deadlines apply to driving licences issued on or after 01.01.1999:
- 1999 to 2001 - 19.01.2026
- 2002 to 2004 - 19.01.2027
- 2005 to 2007 - 19.01.2028
- 2008 - 19.01.2029
- 2009 - 19.01.2030
- 2010 - 19.01.2031
- 2011 - 19.01.2032
- 2012 to 18.01.2013 - 19.01.2033
- Holders of a driving licence whose year of birth is before 1953 must also exchange their driving licence by 19.01.2033, regardless of the year in which the licence was issued.
- The respective time limit only affects the driving licence document, not the underlying driving licence. A medical examination or other checks are regularly not associated with the exchange of documents.
- The rights documented in the driving licence remain in principle even if the document is exchanged.
What are the fees?
- The fee is based on the scale of charges for road transport measures (GebOSt).
- If the driver's license is sent directly to the residential address, an additional shipping fee will be charged.
§ 24a Driving Licence Ordinance (FeV)
§ 25 Driving Licence Ordinance (FeV)
Annex 3 Driving Licence Ordinance (FeV)
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.