For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Apply for an extension of a residence permit to work with practical professional knowledge

The residence permit for the exercise of an employment with pronounced practical professional knowledge was granted for a limited period. You can apply for the extension of the residence permit if your employment is to continue beyond the period of validity of your residence permit.

Apply for the extension of your residence permit at least eight weeks before the expiry of the time limit at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.

The same conditions apply to the renewal as to the grant. In particular, you should continue to work in the IT industry and have a certain salary.

When you issued your residence permit for the first time, the Federal Employment Agency gave your consent. If the validity of the consent has expired, it must be reissed for the renewal of your residence permit.

Under certain circumstances, you were obliged to participate in an integration course when you first issued your residence permit. If this is the case, this must be taken into account when extending your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the Foreigners' Registration Office may reject your application for an extension of the residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, the residence permit will only be extended by one year until you successfully complete it or provide proof that your integration into social life has taken place elsewhere.

In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. The duration of the fixed-term contract depends on the duration of your employment contract or the period of validity of the consent of the Federal Employment Agency.

As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page