For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of employing qualified tolerated persons

As a tolerated foreign person, you can obtain a residence permit to work if you have completed qualified vocational training or university studies in Germany. Qualified vocational training exists if you have completed vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation.  The duration of the training must have been at least two years.

If you have obtained your university degree abroad, you can obtain a residence permit if your foreign degree has been legally recognised in Germany or is comparable to a German university degree. The Central Office for Foreign Education is responsible for the recognition of foreign university degrees in Germany (see under "Further information"). In addition, it is required that you have been employed for two years without interruption with your foreign university degree. Employment is appropriate if it usually requires an academic degree and the knowledge acquired through higher education is needed, at least in part or indirectly. Shorter interruptions of employment, which should normally not exceed a total duration of three months, are harmless.

You can also obtain a residence permit if you have obtained your professional qualification abroad, have been in qualified employment without interruption for three years and have not relied on public funds (with the exception of benefits to cover the necessary costs of accommodation and heating) within the last year before applying for the residence permit for your livelihood and that of your family members or other household members. goods. Qualified employment exists when it is usually carried out by persons with skills, knowledge and abilities acquired in qualified vocational training or academic training. Shorter interruptions (up to three months) are usually harmless,

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. Holders of the training tonation permit are granted a residence permit for two years if they wish to pursue an employment equivalent to that acquired in vocational training.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page