For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Apply for a residence permit for employment as a specialist with academic training

A residence permit for employment as a specialist with academic training gives you access to the labour market in Germany. It can only be applied for in person at your local immigration authority. Spouses of holders of the residence permit for the purpose of qualifying employment are also entitled to a residence permit.

You can apply for a residence permit if you have completed your university degree. If you do not have a German university degree, your degree must either be recognised or comparable to a German university degree. You can already recognise or establish comparability before you enter Germany.

You must also submit an employment contract or a binding job offer. From the age of 45, you must prove a certain minimum salary. The minimum gross salary is set annually and amounts to EUR 46,860 in 2021. Even if you do not reach this minimum salary, you can obtain a residence permit to pursue qualified employment upon presentation of proof of an adequate pension or, in special cases, a residence permit. A special case may be that there is a public interest in employment.

The Federal Employment Agency checks whether the working conditions correspond to those of comparable German employees and whether there is a domestic employment relationship.

The residence permit is a temporary residence permit. It is granted for 4 years in the case of permanent employment relationships and can be extended. If the duration of your employment relationship is less than 4 years, the residence permit will be issued for the duration of your employment contract.

As a holder of a residence permit for the exercise of qualified employment for professionals with a university degree, you can also obtain a settlement permit under certain conditions. This entitles you to permanent residence.

Exception: As a citizen of an EU country, you have access to the labour market due to your right to freedom of movement and do not need a residence permit. You can pursue a self-employed activity or employment in Germany within the framework of the right of establishment or the free movement of workers. This also applies to nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

Note: If you are highly qualified, the "EU Blue Card" may also be an option as a residence permit for you. Other requirements apply, including a minimum salary regardless of age.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page