For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Apply for a visa for a short stay in Germany and the Schengen area

If you are a national of a country listed in Annex I of the Visa Regulation of the European Union (Regulation (EU) 2018/1806), you will need a visa for short stays of up to 90 days per 180-day period in the Schengen area. In the section Legal Bases you will find the Regulation including Annex I.

If Germany is your only destination or main destination (in the Schengen area), you can apply for the visa at a diplomatic mission of the Federal Republic of Germany (embassies and consulates); the same applies if there is no main destination, but they intend to enter the Schengen area via Germany's external borders. The German mission abroad to which you have to submit the application depends on your place of residence. In many countries, the application can also be submitted to a service provider. In countries where Germany does not have a diplomatic mission abroad, it may be possible to apply for a visa to travel to Germany from another Schengen partner.

In principle, the visa entitles you to stays of up to a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days, for example for visiting stays, business and tourist stays.

Agreements between the EU and individual third countries make it easier for their nationals to submit applications. Information on this can be found on the list of countries with visa facilitation.

If you are a national of a country listed in Annex II of the Visa Regulation of the European Union (Regulation (EU) 2018/1806) and you do not want to work, you do not need a visa to enter the Schengen area.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page