For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Apply for an exemption from the ban on Sunday and public holiday work

As an employer, you need a permit if you want to work in your company on a Sunday or public holiday.

The authorisation of Sunday or public holiday work is provided for by law for:
- the implementation of in-house and order fairs for commercial resellers
- the prevention of disproportionate damage in a company due to special circumstances (very high sick leave, delayed delivery of materials)
- the inventory required by law, if this cannot be done on a day of the week.

If there are other reasons, these are also checked and, if necessary, the Sunday or holiday work is approved.

The general prohibition of Sunday and public holiday work does not apply to activities that serve to satisfy the daily needs of the population or those that are particularly prominent on Sundays and public holidays, such as.B:
- services of general interest (e.B. in the care of the sick or the care of animals),
- services (e.B. in restaurants or taxi companies) and
- leisure activities (e.B. in theatres, football or leisure facilities),
- Use in emergencies and exceptional cases (work that cannot be postponed, such as repairs in the event of burst pipes or storm damage to roofs).

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page