Apply for a residence permit for a study-related internship EU
You can obtain a residence permit for a study-related internship EU if you have obtained a university degree in the last two years before the application or if you are still studying in a third country that leads to a university degree. A university is any educational institution that enables a degree that is comparable to a university degree, as it could be obtained in Germany. In this respect, the evaluation recommendations of the Central Office for Foreign Education must be taken into account, see further information.
If you have not yet reached the age of 18, the person entitled to custody must agree to your planned stay for the purpose of the study-related internship.
The residence permit for a study-related internship is a temporary residence permit. It is granted for the agreed duration of the traineeship, but for a maximum of six months.
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and - if required for entry - a sappropriated visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have concluded an agreement with the host institution for participation in an internship.
- The purpose of the internship is to help you acquire knowledge, practical knowledge and experience in a professional environment.
- You are studying in a third country or have successfully completed your studies no more than two years before the application is submitted.
- The internship corresponds to your university degree or studies.
- The host institution undertakes to bear the costs incurred by the public authorities up to six months after the end of the internship agreement, which arise for the subsistence of the foreigner during the unauthorized stay in the Federal territory and for the deportation.
- Your livelihood is secured for the entire duration of the study-related internship.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Proof of subsistence (e.B. proof of internship remuneration or blocked account at a bank)
- Proof of your health insurance
- Proof of a university degree obtained or of ongoing studies in a third country
- Internship agreement with the host institution
- Declaration of assumption of costs by the receiving institution
What are the fees?
Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00
Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your visa, which is still valid.
- Appeal period: 1 month
about six to eight weeks.
Applications / forms
- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
An action may be brought before the competent administrative court against negative decisions of the Foreigners' Registration Office.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Unit 64 (Aliens and Asylum Law)
Professionally released on