Applying for a residence permit to take an examination for the recognition of a foreign professional qualification
If your foreign professional qualification cannot yet be recognised in Germany and only requires the passing of an examination for recognition, then you can obtain a residence permit solely for taking the examination.
The concept of examination covers examinations which are necessary to establish the equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification and, in a profession regulated in Germany, for the granting of the power to practise a profession or for the granting of the authorisation to use a professional title. This includes language and technical language examinations. The completion of several exams is also considered.
If you are to attend an exam preparation course before taking the exam, you can obtain a residence permit for the implementation of a qualification measure for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications.
You must prove your language skills to the Foreigners' Registration Office if proof of language proficiency is not the subject of your examination.
A residence permit to take an examination for the recognition of a foreign professional qualification does not entitle the holder to pursue gainful employment.
The residence permit to take an examination for the recognition of a foreign professional qualification is a temporary residence permit. It is issued for the duration of the examination procedure. This covers the period from the passing of the examination to the announcement of the examination result or until a decision of the competent authority concluding the procedure is issued.
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eATCard).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eATKarte to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT Card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eATKarte must always be collected in person.
- Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Who should I contact?
The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if necessary for entry - a dedicated visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your foreign professional qualification cannot yet be fully recognised in Germany.
- For the recognition of foreign professional qualifications, an examination is still required.
- You have German language skills that correspond to the exam to be taken, but usually at least speaking skills at level A2.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without using public benefits.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Proof of subsistence (e.B. scholarship, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
- Proof of your health insurance
- Deficit decision of the Recognition Authority
- Proof of language skills (certificate)
What are the fees?
Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00
Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your visa, which is still valid.
- Objection period: 1 month
about six to eight weeks.
Applications / forms
- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: yes
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Unit 64 (Aliens and Asylum Law)
Professionally released on