Apply for a residence permit for the recognition of the professional qualification on the basis of an agreement between the Federal Employment Agency
You can obtain a residence permit for the recognition of your foreign professional qualification if you have been placed in employment in the health and care sector on the basis of an agreement between the Federal Employment Agency and the employment service of your country of origin (e.B. as part of the "Triple Win" programme for the placement of nurses) or on the basis of an agreement in another selected area.
You do not have to carry out a recognition procedure in Germany before granting the residence permit. This can also be started after arrival in Germany. The overall procedure required for this is regulated in the conciliation agreement.
The Federal Employment Agency must have consented to the exercise of employment in the desired occupational field. The approval of the Federal Employment Agency is granted for a limited period of one year. Consent may be granted for the exercise of employment in both regulated and non-regulated professions if certain conditions are met.
Regulated professions are those for the access and exercise of which special professional qualifications had to be acquired, e.B. in doctors, architects, pharmacists. You can find out whether your profession is regulated in Germany, which laws regulate it and which body you have to contact to check your qualifications in the information portal "Recognition in Germany" (see "Further information").
The Federal Employment Agency may give its consent for the exercise of employment in a regulated profession if the desired employment is closely related to the professional knowledge in the profession to be recognized after entry and further requirements are met (see under "Prerequisites"). A close professional connection is given if you e.B. Want to have your qualification as a health and paediatric nurse recognised and work in the field of nursing assistants during the recognition procedure.
The residence permit entitles the holder to work for up to ten hours a week, independent of the professional qualification to be recognised .
The residence permit for the recognition of the professional qualification on the basis of an agreement with the Federal Employment Agency is a temporary residence permit. It is granted for one year.
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eATCard).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eATKarte to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT Card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eATKarte must always be collected in person.
- Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Who should I contact?
The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if necessary for entry - a dedicated visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have been placed in employment on the basis of a placement agreement between the Federal Employment Agency and the employment service of your country of origin.
- The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to the exercise of employment in the desired occupational field if consent is required.
Consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office. This can be granted if certain conditions are met.
If you want to work in a regulated profession , you must meet the following requirements:
- You can submit a specific job offer for qualified employment in the profession to be recognised after entry.
- For employment in the desired occupational field, a professional license has already been issued, insofar as this is necessary.
- You declare that after entering Germany, you will carry out the procedure for determining the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification and, if necessary, for the granting of the professional license at the competent recognition authority.
If you wish to work in a non-regulated profession , you must declare that after entering Germany, you will carry out the procedure for determining the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification at the competent authority.
- You have the German language skills specified in the placement agreement, which usually correspond to level A2.
You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without using public benefits.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Proof of livelihood
- Proof of foreign professional qualification
- Proof of your health insurance
- If applicable, professional practice permit
- In the case of regulated professions: Concrete job offer for qualified employment in the profession to be recognised after entry
- Proof of language skills (certificate)
What are the fees?
Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00
Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your visa, which is still valid.
- Objection period: 1 month
about six to eight weeks
Applications / forms
- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: yes
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Unit 64 (Aliens and Asylum Law)
Professionally released on