Passport issuance abroad
If you have German citizenship and live abroad, you can apply for your passport at the German diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate) responsible for you. In principle, you must apply for the passport in person.
If you have lost your passport or it has been stolen from you, the diplomatic mission or consular post can issue you with a travel document to return to Germany. These documents are issued for the duration of the intended trip, but for a maximum of one month. They only entitle you to return to Germany, but not to continue your journey to other countries. In case of loss of passport, please contact the nearest foreign representation.
You must apply for the passport in person.
- Please contact the local diplomatic mission and make an appointment if necessary
- You must definitely appear in person as you will need to be personally identified and your fingerprints taken
- Passports are produced centrally and sent to the foreign representation after completion
- When the passport is ready, you will be informed.
Who should I contact?
- You hold German citizenship
- There must be no reasons against issuing a passport
Which documents are required?
- Valid or previous ID (passport, identity card, children's ID card, children's passport)
- Up-to-date biometric photo, in passport format (45 x 35 mm) in portrait format, frontal image without edge, without headgear and without covering the eyes
- If applicable, birth certificate or marriage certificate
- Additional documentation may be required. Please inform yourself in advance at the foreign representation.
What are the fees?
- Application up to 24 years:
- Passport – 32 pages: EUR 58,50
- Passport – 48 pages: EUR 80,50
- Express passport – 32 pages: EUR 90,50
- Express passport – 48 pages: EUR 112,50
- Application from 24 years:
- Passport – 32 pages: EUR 81,00
- Passport – 48 pages: EUR 103,00
- Express passport – 32 pages: EUR 113,00
- Express passport – 48 pages: EUR 135,00
- Temporary passport: EUR 39,00
- Children's passport: EUR 26,00
- If necessary, other costs: in the event of lack of competence, due to places of residence outside the districts of the diplomatic mission, expenses for telephone and postage costs, fluctuations due to changing exchange rates
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- Passport: about 4 weeks
- Express passport: approx. 2 to 3 weeks
- temporary passport: immediately
Applications / forms
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: yes
What else should I know?
If a passport is issued abroad, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 to EUR 21.00 is due compared to the fees payable in Germany.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Professionally released on