For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Apply for permission to work as an insurance consultant

As an insurance consultant, you advise people on:

  • the agreement,
  • Modification or
  • Review of insurance contracts.

In addition, in the event of an insured event, you advise or represent persons out of court in the exercise of claims arising from insurance contracts.

For your work as an insurance consultant, you need a permit from your locally responsible IHK.

In addition to obtaining permission, you must also register in the insurance intermediary register. With the application for permission, you can also submit an application for entry in the register of intermediaries.

As an insurance consultant, you may not accept any benefits (commissions) from insurance companies, nor

  • be otherwise dependent on insurance undertakings, or
  • accept an economic advantage.

They work exclusively in the interest of your customers and may only be paid for by them.

Special features for foreign nationals:

If you are a foreign national and have an establishment in another Member State of the European Union (EU), you must register in that country. You do not need a permit in Germany nor can you register in the German insurance intermediary register.

The same provisions apply to foreign nationals from non-EU countries as to German nationals. These also apply to EU citizens who register a corresponding business exclusively in Germany.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page