For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Marriage Certificate Exhibition

Anyone wishing to marry abroad as a German or German should check with the competent foreign authority whether a certificate of marital capacity is required and whether certification is required. In some countries, the German fiancée or the German fiancée is obliged to present to the foreign official a proof of marital status issued by the German Consulate in that state. In such cases, the certificate of marital capacity is not to be procured for foreign officials, but serves as a basis for the issue of the marital status certificate at the German Consulate in the state of marriage.

If both are Germans who are spouses, their marital capacity must be examined in the same way. It is sufficient for a joint marriage certificate to be issued to both spouses, even if the competent authority is responsible only for one of the spouses.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page