Licence for the (international) carriage of goods by road for hire or reward / Community licence granted
The commercial performance of transport services with vehicles with a permissible gross vehicle weight of more than 3.5 tonnes is subject to authorisation. A distinction must be made between a licence for the carriage of goods by road for hire or reward (valid only in Germany) and a Community licence (valid within the European Union). The main grant factors are:
- professional aptitude
Specialist examination before the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) or training as a transport specialist or forwarding agent (training started before 04.12.2011)
- financial capacity
Equity of EUR 9,000 for the first, EUR 5,000 for each additional motor vehicle)
- personal reliability
Certificate of good conduct and information from the Central Trade Register must be applied for at the citizens' offices and sent directly from them to the licensing authority. If entrepreneurs are already self-employed, clearance certificates from the tax office, the health insurance companies of the employees and the employers' liability insurance association must also be submitted. The documents for personal reliability must not be older than 3 months when the application is submitted).
The application is submitted to the locally competent approval authority (registered office of the company).
- You must apply for a Community licence (EU licence) or a national road haulage licence from the competent authority. The content of the application for a licence or Community licence must comply with Annex 1 to the General Administrative Regulation on The Law on the Carriage of Goods by Road (GüKVwV).
- The competent authority shall make a final decision on the application.
Who should I contact?
Approval issued by the competent authority under state law.
The permit for the carriage of goods by road for hire or reward will only be granted to you if:
- the safety and performance of the operation are ensured,
- there are no facts that demonstrate your unreliability as an entrepreneur or the persons appointed to conduct the business,
- you as an entrepreneur or the person appointed to manage the business are professionally suitable and
- You and the entrepreneurs commissioned by you with the implementation of transport services have their registered office or branch within the meaning of commercial law in Germany.
Which documents are required?
- Police certificate of good conduct (sent to the competent authority after application to the Bürgeramt)
- Extracts from the Central Register of Trade and Transport
- Proof of subject matter and expertise examination of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce
- Clearance certificates from the tax office and the social security institutions
- Equity certificate / balance sheet
Please ask the competent authority for you if you need to submit any further documents.
What are the fees?
Fee: 300,00 EURPayment in advance: NoThe administrative fee for the granting of the permit or license is EUR 300.00 plus EUR 55.00 per copy/certified copy for each vehicle used; upon application, an advance of EUR 200.00 plus EUR 3.30 must be paid for each information from the driving aptitude register.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Applications / forms
- The application must be made in writing. There are no special requirements for the shape.
- The application forms publicly available on the Authority's website facilitate the submission of the application and should therefore be sent to the competent authority in full.
- A personal appearance in the authority is usually not necessary
- No online service possible (in Berlin)
Text reviewed by the Ministry of Economy, Labour and Transport
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation