Enrolling a child at a secondary school
The Realschule comprises grades 5 to 10. The pupils receive an extended general education that goes beyond basic knowledge in all subjects. The focus is on independent learning and the teaching of different learning methods. As part of the career orientation, the students get to know professions and courses of study. Lessons in the Realschule consist of compulsory lessons as well as offers in elective lessons and in elective lessons. A second foreign language (usually French) is offered as a four-hour elective course from the 6th grade onwards.
In the 9th and 10th grades, the Realschule offers a practical focus on vocational training with measures for career orientation and vocational training, the profiles of foreign languages, economics, technology as well as health and social affairs, as well as preparation for attending the upper secondary school in the grammar school programme.
At the end of the 10th grade, the following degrees can be obtained:
- Secondary school leaving certificate I – lower secondary school leaving certificate
- Secondary school leaving certificate I – secondary school leaving certificate
Extended lower secondary school leaving certificate, which entitles the holder to attend the upper secondary school at a grammar school, at a comprehensive school or to attend a vocational grammar school at a vocational school
Registration at a secondary school must be submitted directly to the secondary school that the child is to attend. The schools have fixed registration dates for this. In exceptional cases, the documents may also be sent to the school by post. Registration in the current school year in the event of a change of school type usually takes place at the end of the semester (pedagogical reasons).
Who should I contact?
If you have any individual questions, please contact the school responsible for you.
The secondary school with which you would like to register your child is responsible.
- The pupil must have successfully completed the 4th grade (exception: the child has already repeated the 4th grade. Then it moves up in vol. 5).
The parents or guardians must have registered their child in the secondary school.
Which documents are required?
- Registration form of the receiving secondary school. You can pick up the form at the school beforehand or you can get it directly when you come to register. As a rule, the form can also be downloaded from the homepage of the school or the school authority.
- Certificate from the 1st semester of the 4th grade and then the report from the 2nd semester of the 4th grade.
- Vaccination certificate or medical certificate (measles protection)
- If applicable, notification of special educational needs
If applicable, power of attorney of one legal guardian for the other
after consultation with the school:
If applicable, minutes of the counselling sessions in primary school (non-compulsory participation in discussions in GS, i.e. bring with you if necessary) If applicable, passport photo of the child for the school file If applicable, swimming badge If applicable, birth certificate of the child If applicable, registration certificate if applicable, certificate of custody
What are the fees?
There are no costs for the registration itself.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Registration deadlines of the individual receiving school must be observed.
No processing time, registration takes place directly at the school.
Applications / forms
- The schools provide the necessary registration forms.
- Online procedure possible: possible if necessary – e.g. due to the pandemic (e.g. download of registration documents)
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: basically yes
This administrative service does not constitute an administrative act. For this reason, there is no legal remedy.
What else should I know?
Further information can be found on the websites of the Lower Saxony Ministry of Culture.
The transition from another type of secondary school to the Realschule (e.g. Hauptschule to Realschule, Gymnasium to Realschule, etc.) is not part of the service description.
The admission of a pupil to the secondary school after moving (e.g. after a change of federal state or after a change of catchment area) is not part of the service description.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Culture
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.