Marriage Execution with a partner with custody
The marriage of persons who have children in common or are otherwise entitled to custody of a child must be registered with the competent authority.
Before the marriage, the spouses must be asked whether there have been any changes in their factual circumstances concerning the conditions for marriage since the registration of the marriage and whether they wish to determine a married name.
The marriage should be carried out in a dignified form appropriate to the importance of the marriage. Witnesses are no longer mandatory under German law, but can still be involved.
The wedding ceremony takes place at a (prescribed) place dedicated to it by the competent authority (registry office).
The lawful marriage presupposes h the legal capacity (especially the natural legal capacity and the marital capacity) of the spouse, which is checked by the registrar/registry office. The declarations of the spouse that they wish to enter into the marriage with each other must be recorded in a record by the registrar after the marriage. The record must contain all the information to be recorded in the marriage register. It must be signed by the spouses, the witnesses and the registrar.
A marriage is also considered to be concluded if the spouses have declared that they want to enter into the marriage with each other.
The responsibility lies with the registry office where, at your discretion, the marriage is to be concluded.
- Registration of the intended marriage
- If language skills are missing, an interpreter must be brought along at the instigation of the spouse.
- The spouses must be of legal age.
- The spouses must have legal capacity (especially, of course, legal capacity.
- Spouses must be present in person
- According to German law, marriage may not be precluded by an obstacle to marriage.
Which documents are required?
- Proof of identity (identity card, passport or suitable identity document)
What are the fees?
- Depending on the individual case, may vary.
- The costs for the marriage depend on the respective administrative burden. Please contact the competent authority.
Fee: 25,00 EURPayment in advance: NoIf the marriage is performed in a different registry office than where the spouses are domiciled.
Fee: 80,00 EURPayment in advance: NoFor the marriage outside the usual opening hours of the competent authority, except for marriages in the case of life-threatening illnesses.
The duration may vary. Please contact the responsible registry office.
- §104 BGB (German Civil Code)
- § 1310 BGB (German Civil Code)
- § 1312 BGB (German Civil Code)
- § 1896 ff. BGB
- § 1903 BGB (German Civil Code)
- Art. 13 sec. 4 sentence 1 EGBGB
- § 6 PStG
- § 11 PStG
- § 13 PStG
- § 29 PStV
- Art. 14.1 et seq. PStGVwV
Applications / forms
If the registry office refuses to perform your marriage, you can apply to the competent court to instruct the registry office to perform your marriage.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport