Public veterinary services protect animal and human health. It is an important part of consumer protection, agriculture, the food industry and animal welfare.
The tasks of the public veterinary sector are:
- preventing and controlling diseases of animals communicable in particular from animals to humans,
- maintaining and developing the health of farm animals,
- protection of humans against hazards and damage caused by animal diseases,
- protecting humans against risks and damage to health, as well as against misleading and deceiving by food and products of animal origin,
- maintaining and increasing the quality of food of animal origin,
- protecting the environment from the harmful effects of animals, animal products and waste;
- Protecting the life and welfare of animals and preventing suffering.
Who should I contact?
The veterinary and food control offices are authorities of the districts or the independent cities.
The Lower Saxony State Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety provides monitoring and advice.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.