Schools of general education: admission - Gymnasium
The Gymnasium provides its students with a broad and in-depth general education and enables them to acquire the general ability to study. It strengthens independent learning and scientific propaedeutic work. According to their abilities and inclinations, the Gymnasium enables its students to focus individually and enables them to continue their education at a university, but also in relation to their profession, in accordance with their qualifications.
Depending on the decision of the school, instruction in grades 5 to 10 consists of compulsory and optional instruction or of compulsory instruction, compulsory elective instruction and optional instruction. A second foreign language must be learned from the 6th grade. Special subject-related teaching focuses can be offered in grades 8 to 10. Successful attendance of the 10th grade entitles the holder to enter the introductory phase of the upper secondary school (11th grade). In the case of leaving school, all lower secondary education qualifications can be obtained on the basis of the performance achieved in grade 10.
The gymnasiale Oberstufe is divided into a one-year introductory phase (11th grade) and a two-year qualification phase (12th and 13th grade), it ends with the Abitur examination after 13 school years.
Upon successful participation in the Abitur examination, the general higher education entrance qualification is acquired. This entitles the holder to take up any degree programme at a university, college and university of applied sciences, without prejudice to any university's own admission procedures and admission requirements.
In the event of premature departure (at the earliest at the end of the first year of the qualification phase) or failure to pass the Abitur examination, the school part of the Fachhochschulreife can be acquired, provided that the minimum conditions are met. The school-based part of the Fachhochschulreife leads in conjunction with a job-related part to the general Fachhochschulreife. This entitles the holder to study at all universities of applied sciences, at corresponding integrated courses of study at comprehensive universities and, if necessary, to a limited extent after individual admission procedures also at corresponding Bachelor's degree programmes at some universities.
- You register your child at the grammar school responsible for you.
- After registration, inform the primary school which grammar school your child will attend in the future.
Responsible is the grammar school where you want to register the child.
- Your child has successfully completed primary education (grades 1 to 4).
- The choice of the secondary school form is incidentally your free decision as a parent or guardian within the framework of the local school offer (if necessary after prior consultation by the primary school previously attended).
Which documents are required?
The following documents are required for registration at a grammar school:
- Half-year report of your child from the 4th grade of primary school
- if necessary. further documents on request by the school
What are the fees?
Fee: free of charge
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- Registration period: at the earliest 10 weeks and at the latest 5 weeks before the start of the summer holidays
- The school authorities may determine a staggering of the registration procedure for the schools in their area of responsibility.
- Decree "The work in grades 5 to 10 of the Gymnasium"
- Ordinance on Upper Secondary School (VO-GO)
- Supplementary provisions to the Ordinance on Upper Secondary School (EB-VO-GO)
- Ordinance on Qualifications in Upper Secondary School, Vocational Grammar School, Evening Grammar School and College (AVO-GOBAK)
- Supplementary provisions to the Ordinance on Qualifications in Upper Secondary School (Gymnasiale Oberstufe), Berufliche Gymnasium, Abendgymnasium and Kolleg (EB-AVO-GOBAK)
Applications / forms
The schools provide the necessary registration forms.
This administrative service does not constitute an administrative act. For this reason, no remedy will result.
What else should I know?
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Culture
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.