Basic provision in old age and in the event of reduced earning capacity (social assistance)
The benefits of the basic provision in old age and in the event of reduced earning capacity are intended to ensure the basic needs of human existence, such as food, clothing, personal hygiene, household goods, household energy, personal needs of daily life as well as adequate accommodation and heating. With the exception of accommodation and heating, they are generally provided on a flat-rate basis in the form of standard rates. Individual aid is eligible only under special conditions.
In addition, additional requirements are recognized in the case of
- age and proof of the mark "G",
- full reduction in earning capacity and proof of the mark "G",
- single parenting of children,
- cost-intensive nutrition in case of illness,
- hot water with decentralised hot water supply,
- communal lunch in WfBM or comparable institution and
- Beneficiaries with disabilities who receive assistance for school education or university education according to § 112 SGB IX.
In addition, appropriate health and long-term care insurance contributions are eligible.
. Further information and advice can be obtained from the responsible office.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the district and the district-free city.
The application-dependent benefits of the basic provision in old age and in the event of reduced earning capacity are available to persons in need who cannot or cannot afford their necessary livelihood from income and assets and either
- have reached the age limit (§ 41 SGB XII) or
- have reached the age of 18 and are permanently fully reduced in earning capacity according to § 43 Abs. 2 SGB VI or
- have reached the age of 18 and
- go through the entry procedure and vocational training in a workshop for disabled people or other service providers or are in a training relationship for which they receive a budget for training.
Social assistance is a subordinate benefit given to people who cannot help themselves. Claims against third parties – in particular maintenance claims – are generally to be pursued with priority. If they are not fulfilled in time and social assistance must therefore take place, the rights are transferred under certain conditions to the competent authority, which can then claim them in turn.
Which documents are required?
- Suitable proof of identity (e.g. identity card)
- Proof of expenses: rental contract or household charges (each with year of construction and size of the apartment), receipts for gas / water / electricity bills, insurance (policies and contribution invoices), such as household contents, liability, life, death insurance, possibly contribution invoices for voluntary health and long-term care insurance, etc.
- Income receipts, e.g. pension notice, unemployment benefit II notice, housing benefit notice, pay slip, etc.
- Proof of assets: account statements from the last three months, savings books, fixed-term deposit accounts, securities accounts, land register statements, etc.
What are the fees?
Fee: free of charge
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
The benefits of the basic provision begin with the application. This shall have retroactive effect on the first day of the month of application.
The basic social security benefit is regularly approved for 12 calendar months and then reviewed.
If the personal or financial circumstances change during the approval period, the changes must be communicated immediately. Increased benefits shall be paid at the earliest from the first of the month in which notification of change was given. Therefore, it is important to communicate changes, such as a rent increase, immediately.
An objection may be lodged against decisions of the competent social assistance institutions within one month of notification.
After completion of the opposition proceedings by means of an objection decision, an action may be brought before the Social Court within one month of notification.
What else should I know?
Further information can be found on the websites of the German Pension Insurance.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Equality
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.