Admission to secondary schools Counselling
The primary school ends in Lower Saxony after the 4th grade. From the 5th grade, your child goes to a secondary school. This can be a Hauptschule, a Realschule, a Oberschule, a Gesamtschule (integrated comprehensive school/cooperative comprehensive school), a special school or a Gymnasium. Not all types of secondary education are offered in every region or city. You decide which one to register your child with.
To support you in this decision, the primary school in the 4th grade offers you as a legal guardian at least two counseling sessions for the transition to the 5th grade. The teacher will inform you about your child's individual learning development and, if you wish, advise you on the choice of secondary school types and possible educational programmes. Your child should be involved in the counselling in an appropriate way. These interviews are based on the level of performance, learning development during primary school, work and social behaviour and the findings from discussions with you. If you wish, a school career recommendation can be made by the teacher for the 2nd consultation. The teacher writes down the main results of the discussions in order to ensure commitment and transparency. A copy of this document can be obtained from the teacher.
At the end of the 3rd or at the beginning of the 4th school year, there will be an information event for you. On this course, you will be introduced to the educational mission, the performance requirements and working methods of the secondary schools and the possibilities of a later change of school form.
Once you have decided, enroll your child in a secondary school.
For pupils in need of special educational support, a new need for special educational support took place until the school year 2019/2020 when changing school form. This has been eliminated since the 2020/21 school year.
- At the end of the 3rd or at the beginning of the 4th school year, you can take part in an information event on the transition to secondary school.
- In the course of the 4th school year, you will be offered two counselling sessions. The aim of the discussions is to give you support and orientation with regard to the choice of secondary school form.
- You decide which secondary school your child should attend and register him or her at the corresponding school. Please note the time periods that are provided for registration. You can inquire about this at the relevant school or primary school. Often you will also find the information on the homepage of the secondary school or the school authority.
Who should I contact?
- responsible primary school
- responsible primary school
Which documents are required?
- no documentation required
What are the fees?
Fee: free of charge
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- no deadline for counselling (When registering at the secondary school, the time slots for this must be observed - contact person: corresponding secondary school)
Applications / forms
- Forms: none
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes (if you attend the information event and the consultations)
This administrative service does not constitute an administrative act. For this reason, no remedy will result.
What else should I know?
Registration at secondary school is not part of this service description.
Technically approved by
Ministry of Culture of Lower Saxony
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.