Apply for a new identity card when it expires
In Germany, persons aged 16 and over are required to have a valid identity card. From the age of 16, you must therefore apply for a new identity card in good time before the validity of your old one expires. This applies if you are over 16 years old and do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport, temporary passport.
The application is possible at the Bürgeramt at your main residence. If you submit the application for good cause at another citizens' registration office, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 will be charged to the fee.
The validity period depends on your age:
- under 24 years: Identity card is valid for 6 years.
- from 24 years: Identity card is valid for 10 years.
It may happen that the issue of the new identity card is not possible within the remaining period of validity. In this case, it may also be necessary to apply for a temporary identity card for the transitional period. A temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.
You must apply for the identity card in person at the Bürgeramt. If you do not apply for your identity card at your main residence, you will need an important reason and a supplement will be added to the fee. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have selected beforehand, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt recognises your reason.
- At many citizens' offices, you can make an appointment online, by e-mail or by phone. You can find out what options your Bürgeramt offers, for example, on its website.
- When applying, your citizens' registration office will inform you when you can pick up your identity card.
- Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you:
- have German citizenship,
- have reached the age of 16,
- are registered in Germany and
- do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport.
For applications outside your main residence:
- You must be able to explain an important reason why you do not apply for the identity card at the identity card authority responsible for your main residence.
- Exception: The temporary identity card cannot be applied for abroad.
Which documents are required?
- Biometrics-compatible passport photo: The photo must
- be up-to-date and
- meet the requirements for biometric photos.
- old identity card, valid passport or old (expired) passport
- if applicable, birth certificate or family record book
- for children under 16 years of age: both parents with custody or, where applicable, consent from the parent with custody who is not present
- in the case of sole custody, a negative certificate from the Youth Welfare Office
What are the fees?
Fee: 37,00 EURPayment in advance: NoFor applicants aged 24 and over. Fee reduction or exemption is possible for those in need. This is at the discretion of the identity card authority.
Fee: 22,80 EURPayment in advance: NoFor applicants under 24 years of age.
Fee: 10,00 EURPayment in advance: NoFor the temporary identity card.
Supplement: 13,00 EURPayment in advance: NoIf you apply outside working hours or not at your main residence.
Supplement: 30,00 EURPayment in advance: NoFor application at any Bürgeramt by Germans residing abroad.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
If the validity of your old identity card has expired and you are over 16 years old, you must immediately apply for a new identity card if you do not have a valid passport document.
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: No
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.